Zenith - Swedish B Class.

share hints, tips and experiences
JimC

Re: Zenith - Swedish B Class.

Post by JimC »

Mast step/gate - using gravity to hold those two timbers while the glue sets?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

That makes a lot of sense, but neither of those bits of wood look nice enough to be used on Zenith?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

It's holding down the two pieces of wood bellow it that brace the two deck beams whilst the gorilla glue dries.
Cheers Al
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

neil wrote:anyone care to guess what this is for and what stage I've got to?
thing.jpg
Is it a dolly stand to put under the nails so that you can clench them s/handed?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That makes more sense. The acquisition of a child to hold the dolly works better, mind - I was that child helping to mend National 18s back in the 70s. Probably called child cruelty these days!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

That makes lots of sense.....

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Obscured by clouds wrote:
Is it a dolly stand to put under the nails so that you can clench them s/handed?
Certainly is. A borrowed child would be quicker, but the traditional trolley jack works a treat.
thing2.jpg
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I hearby claim the prize! :lol:

bit of a cheat. I have exactly the same set up that belonged to my dad lurking somewhere in his workshop
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

OK, another quick update. My plans for days of steaming over xmas were derailed, but finally have the bow and aft tanks nearly finished.

All ribs in and a rudder shaft fitted in bearings. Today has mainly been spent applying G4.

Now to start replacing the ribs in the centre section. 63 of them.

neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Zenith update

This may be the longest CVRDA restoration project as I see that Zenith went in my old Workshop in August 2012 and the first rib went in October 2012. I remember 2013-14 was busy at work, got a Chair so was doing professorial stuff.

It appears that work restarted in October 2014 with the Bow and Stern Tank being finished in January 2015.

In late 2015 we made the decision to move house so a massive downsizing of cars, boats and associated toys (6 sheds and 30’ workshop) were cleared.

So in May 2016 Zenith went into her new home, a heated double garage with a kitchen and the all important tea making supplies a very short walk away.

The last 3 years or so have been spent working on the house with Zenith getting a number of “looking at” sessions but little actual work being done, apart from sorting the rudder and steering yokes. A few weeks ago I was able to clear my workbench and fire up the steamer for the first time in years.

It turns out there were 64 ribs to replace in the mid section, and over the past 2 weeks 22 have gone in. So, I’m planning to have all the ribs done in the next 4 weeks.

Once I’ve sorted some photo hosting (when did the free Flickr account set a limit of 1000?) I’ll post some pics of progress to date

Pat

Post by Pat »

2012 start? Mere youngster in project age.
Two of our Merlins went into the workshop in 2010 and 2006 respectively and still aren't at the front of the queue. And a Lark one went off water in 2004.
Then there's the projects that were started before we got them - Merlin 40 for example. Don't know when they were started!
But it would be great to see Zenith complete and being probably the oldest boat at an event.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

By going through old emails it appears that I picked up Zenith and Rannoch from Loch Lomond at Easter 2004, I think the original plan was to have her on the water for the 10th anniversary of the CVRDA! I knew I’d owned her for a while but hadn’t expected it to be 15 years.

I reckon that she’ll be on the water in 2021 now I have the time (and money) to commit to the work. The one thing I have been able to do over the past few years is to sort out the history of Zenith, very handy that the Swedish Maritime Museum digitised the Sven Thorell archive and made it available online so I have the lines plan and construction details for his ‘Sol’ design that were used for Zenith

The build year is reckoned to be either 1925 or 1926, I’ll take 1926 just to be safe, so if I can get her on the water for her 95th anniversary I’d be happy.

chris

Post by chris »

Glad to hear that Zenith is under way again, it always seems hard to pick up a project after a long gap.
There is a Sven Thorell connection ( a loose one) to the boat I am restoring at the West Wales Maritime Heritage Museum here in Pembroke Dock after our move. It is an International twelve foot possibly as old as 1913. its owner sailed in the 1928 olymics in these twelves and came 8th out of 20. Thorell took gold!

I am hoping they will let me bring the Int 12 to a CVRDA event sometime when finished.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Need to coordinate events, I’m not going up against one of your restorations in a concourse!

One of the other projects I have is removing over 50 m^2 of Piranha pine ceiling (got to love 1970s interior design). It has been up for over 40 years and is in 15’ lengths and about 2.5” wide, I think it is 1/2” thick - will know when we take it down. There’s about 100 15’ lengths. I’ll be storing it when it is done as I have a couple of projects in mind but I think there will a fair bit left over!

JimC

Post by JimC »

neil wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:02 am the Swedish Maritime Museum digitised the Sven Thorell archive and made it available online
Could you point me at that please? I've been updating the Chris Gittins Decked Canoe archive on the website and inevitably read most of it, and gained an appreciation of how important Herr Thorell was.