Wayfarer advice needed

General chat about boats
ent228

Wayfarer advice needed

Post by ent228 »

My club has just been given a Mark 2, all Grp Wayferer. The boat will just be used for recreational and training purposes, not racing.

Firstly, it has a hybrid mainsheet system where the main runs from the end of the boom Laser style, along the boom to a block in the center, down to a double block with becket and jammer,(on eye bolt on cb case) round the top sheeve on the double block, upto a second block on the boom, down to the lower sheeve and out to a jammer. (seems to be miles of main sheet)

I want to simplify it. What would you do?

Secondly, the previous owner has moved the jib tracks from their usual position aft of the shrouds to the side benches and aft, so the fairlead is now over the thwart just inboard of the deck

Shall I put them back on the decks or leave them where they are?
dronskiuk

Re: Wayfarer advice needed

Post by dronskiuk »

Sorry can't help on the Wayfarer but had to register approval of the Alpha 220.....classic race board!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

+1 for the Alpha

I wonder how many of these old boards will survive?
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Think I need a picture of that mainsheet system - the normal way is to have all the purchases at the transom - sometimes 3:1 before coming forwards, though that is horrible in terms of friction. Simplest, assuming it needs to stay centre main is simply to copy what the Laser has, with the option of adding in an extra purchase at the transom on windy days.

Jib sheeting - I guess it depends whether it works or not. In theory, you'll point higher with them inboard, but at the cost of losing space for sitting people. Take her sailing and see if you like them there.

Can't comment of the plankyboard - don't know much about them, but anything you can mend and put on the water has to be good.
Rupert
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Thanks for the comments on the Alpha, it came from the Newton Abbot recycling area, like my other board an F2 Lightning (unfortunately not the race version). The Alpha has no centerboard so as I want it on the water in June that will give me enough time to make one up.

If I go back to transom sheeting 2:1 as on an Enterprise will that be ok for a Wayfarer or does it really need more?
Ian Malcolm

Post by Ian Malcolm »

Back in the days when transom sheeting was the usual thing, Wayfarers usually had 3:1 mainsheets with the dead end on a becket on the upper single block and a fiddle block for the lower - autoratchet of the owner was well-off. If winds were light, the dead end could be removed from the becket and made off round the upper sheave of the fiddle block for a 2:1 system. Some long distance heavy weather cruisers even preferred 4:1!

If you try to use a modern thin mainsheet 2:1 system in a blow for longer than a short race, and you aren't a manual labourer with hands like horn you will need reinforced gauntlets, not sailing gloves, so I would want 3:1 with the option to rig 2:1 depending on conditions.

I believe the class rules still say that only a single mainsheet purchase is permitted forward of the transom, with no midships tracks or bridles so the current setup is patently illegal for class racing - not something to encourage on a training boat.

To increase versatility for training, you can retain the option for center main, by rigging the tackle at the transom as an inverted 2:1 and retaining attachment points for detatchable single blocks mid boom and on the aft end of the centerboard case to give an approx 2.5:1 system. *NO* *MAINSHEET* *CLEATS on a training dinghy please, though you might find a single autoratchet for the lower forward block if you are being kind!

I would suggest drawing up a reference card for rigging the boat with the different mainsheet options, laminating it and keeping it in the sailbag.
Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (FORUM REPLY PREFERRED)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Thanks Ian,

Good info'