Single handed Mirror handicap

General chat about boats
solentgal

Single handed Mirror handicap

Post by solentgal »

Just pondering on something I have in mind for the future when I want more gentle sailing........Mirrors (and one or two other craft) have two mast positions, and although you rarely see the forward one used, I was wondering if there is a handicap rating for sailing a Mirror single handed using the forward position and mainsail only?
Any thoughts on this anyone?
Sami.
Rupert

Re: Single handed Mirror handicap

Post by Rupert »

I used to sail the boat regularly like this while I had toddlers crawling all over it. I might have even raced it once or twice. It goes well, by cruising standards, but I suspect you could add 100 points onto the standard handicap as a starting point for racing. It doesn't point as well, and lacks power. On anything but the windiest of days, keep the jib - it makes far more difference than the size would make you think.

In terms of the sailing, the balance is rather nice. I moved the kicker off the front tank and to the bottom of the mast in order to make the transition simply a case of moving 2 wires forwards and tensioning the forestay. What I didn't think of when I bought a mast up cover is that I'd have to move it back again after sailing each time. Now the kids are older, it is rare that I have it in the forward position any more anyway.
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

I would say there's no prospect of an official handicap for the Una rigged Mirror. There are very very few returns. I think I agree with Rupert, use the jib if you can. I imagine really the mainsail ought to be cut differently to use without a jib.

The trick would be to rig the sort of self tacking jib man people are using on ICs now where there's a light pole on the jib foot which extends beyond the tack and a line up to the mast to act as a kicking strap. I bet with a Mirror you could use two bits of bamboo as a sort of wishbone spar... lets think...
mirrorst.gif
(5.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Two pieces of bamboo with a bit of ply to spread them apart.
A piece of line from the intersection of spreader and bamboo down to the jib tack (probably best in a Y shape now I think of it)
A piece of line from the jib tack to the head of the jib, a lashing to adjust tension or a clam cleat in line would be enough for adjustment on a mirror I think
Then just have a block tied on the clew and run a continuous sheet through that and back to the standard cleats and fairleads.
About an hour or so to make it, and no changes to any part of the boat at all. How about that?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Or simply uncleat on one side, pull in and cleat on the other? The great thing about the Mirror is that it doesn't fall over while you think about other things!

Maybe a Graduate/N12 style jib stick on the mast would be nice if not using the kite.
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

We often tried sailing the 'Una' Mirror and it really ruins the boat for the sailing point of view. When it is windy you will not be able to tack - you will just zoom up head to wind and stop dead. And that is actually rather dangerous! The only slight pro is a slight bit of more space.

And I would not advocate tying to make the jib self tacking. It wont, on a mirror, as the clew is well behind the mast. And if it fills before you are ready, then off you go into a situation you do not want. It really is quite easy to reach the jib sheets in the Mirror even if you are sitting out. Especially if you tie the two ends together rather than just use stop knots.

If you are worried about sailing with two sails when it is windy, then the right approach is to reef the main sail. This is best done on a mirror by investing in some slab reefing points. There seem to be plenty of discussions on the internet describing how, and there was recently on cvrda also.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hmmm, some interesting thoughts....thank you everyone.

I've sailed Mirrors single handed many times, with jib, and in mast the aft position, and I know they are easy to handle, and sail very well with only my weight. I was thinking more along the lines of how the handicap would be set for sailing single handed, due to the lack of crew weight.........or would the lack of spinny effectively balance the handicap out I wonder?

Crew weight on a small boat can make a big difference......me at about 70Kg sailing a mirror without spinny in a F3 versus 2 youngsters with combined weight of say 100Kg + spinny?.....wouldn't like to say who would have the advantage there really.

As Jim says, I doubt there are enough returns for single handed to have a current official figure unfortunately. I'm only thinking ahead really, as my sailing of the more athletic dinghies is likely to come to an end fairly soon (dodgy hip getting worse, and lots of aches :( ) but if I get established at the club, I'm sure I'll want to race, and the mirror is so beautifully light and roomy as a single hander.....and I can row it, which is a huge advantage to get out from Mengeham at low tide, thus increasing sailing opportunities.

I have one in my possession at present that was meant to be a little project to help towards club fees, but having looked at her more closely, I think I'd like to keep her, and find alternative club fee funding! :)

Oh....and Fi-Fi no longer has the Moth as a fashion accessory BTW..... we found some webbing and raised the Moth a few inches into the rafters, so I am mobile again now :)
Sami.
JimC

Post by JimC »

solentgal wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of how the handicap would be set for sailing single handed, due to the lack of crew weight...
There has been a published handicap for full rig single handed Mirror in the past and its by no means beyond the bounds of possibility that there could be one again. I shouldn't be at all surprised if the kite was pretty neutral in its effect on performance, I think it could easily be that what you'd gain from the area would be pretty much offset by what you'd lose handling a pole kite singlehanded.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

True Jim.... I did wonder that. It would be an interesting experiment to sail without a spinny, against one with spinny to test that out. I do have a spinny with mine, so all options covered really :)
Sami.
chris

Post by chris »

At Shearwater SC we have Mirror double handed at 1385 and single handed at 1365. This is assuming no change in rig and I think the numbers are based on the more modern mirror rig. We deduct 20 for any double hander that ends up being sailed single handed. This is on the theory that we want to keep people joining in races so that, if they can't get a crew on a particular day, they don't have to stay ashore. On the other hand we want to put people off saying ' Oh is very light winds today I'll ditch my crew and go faster'. Most people accept this as fair but occasionally someone might be heard to mutter that they are slower sailing a double handed boat on their own because of slower manoeuvres. As I said our aim is to make it easier to join in races.

We used to have a guy sailing a mirror 'solo' with jib and spinny up and doing very well indeed. But then he is a good sailor, To be seen sailing a wayf. at some cvrda events!
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Thanks Chris, that's very interesting, I'll make a note of this for future reference :)
Sami.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

There was a single handed mirror sailing in the Steve Nicholson Memorial Trophy, part of the Sailjuice series. I think it did quite well!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World