Family sailing

General chat about boats
Rupert

Family sailing

Post by Rupert »

A quick question - with no right or wrong answer...

As some of you know, the Whelan babies have somehow become teenagers... and the 4 of us really don't fit well in a Mirror any more, even when the rig is off and the oars out.

So, the question - is it better to get a bigger boat, or to get a 2nd Mirror, so we can all go adventuring together again?
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Re: Family sailing

Post by neil »

think big - how about a YW Scow?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The garage is 15 feet too short...
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

I'd suggest that two boats is probably more fun than a bigger boat if everyone likes to actually sail.
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I thought you already had more than one boat........?

Fnurk

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Oh, lots of boats, Steve, but only the one where you can use it as a trailer on the way to a holiday and then pile everyone in to row across to the castle on the other side of the lake... we took the Puffin as well that trip, but just too small to act as a family craft. All the other boats are either singlehanders or too nice to want to run up on a strange beach.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rupert,

As a parent to offspring that span the range of age that you are looking forward to, you can be in little doubt that their second decade will be considerably more interesting than the first! :roll: :oops:

For a big family boat, the obvious contenders I would think have to be a Jolly boat (there's few of those lurking around here I believe) or a Drascombe lugger (or similar.)

...but you know that this makes no sense atall..and if you want to be the original "Mouse in a windmill," I can reccoment a pair of whatever they sail as a crewed boat at Whitefriars and let the teenagers get on with doing what they do best. (Think of songs like "Sweet Home Alabama.") Think in terms of boats that have a travelling fleet that is sailed a most schools and universities, and the widest age range of competing boats, helms and crews to be found anywhere in the world.

I had unimaginably good fun as a member of an ill disciplined crowd of Firefly adolescents travelling to various firefly national champs, and would reccomend this to any teenage sailer. Dont forget the NFA even have the famous "Sponsor a student" drinking night," a variety of prizes for under acheivement and you yourself as editor of the Firefly Bulletin will have unrestricted access to reports of all their best moments, with the opportunity to embellish it in whatever way you wish.

So it must surely demand that you send them out into the world with a pony in their pocket to find an affordable project in which to emulate Dad's deeds of glory in club venues such as Marazion, Tenby, Weymouth, Hayling Island, and Felixstowe.

Can the clan go one better than a century of pints in a week?? Would they get away with mooring the next days Gate boat, fully rigged on the water hazard of Felixtowe Golf course, or filling the gybe mark inflatable with water and leaving it high on the beach. (The race officer swore he would make it an actual mark of the coures!)

The future is still to be written, but you have only to point them in the right direction
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Michael,

one races already in a fleet with an eye for the bar, so I think that side of things is taken care of - though we have considered 2 Fireflies, the kids prefer to be in different boats.

There is no 2 handed class at WSC, either - 2 mirrors would be as good as any - but that isn't really the point of what I'm thinking of - we have 3 or 4 years left of family muck around, if we are lucky - after that, they can go and do what I did, I guess, unless they have more sense - did the 100 pint weeks at Mounts bay and Abersoch as the weather was far too windy in one and nothing at the other.

As for the big boat, son has mentioned the Jollyboat, but no space for something that large. Daughter likes the idea of an Albacore, which does have merit. A Fairey Falcon might be taking things a little too far! Drascombe - no. My parents live in the spiritual home of the boat, but still, no.

Is a GP14 big enough for 4? I have my doubts, and 2 Mirrors certainly seem more fun than cramming 4 in a small space.
Rupert
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Mirror 16
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Salcombe Yawl. Or just maybe, YW dayboat. Both will carry a family for a day sail, both can be fun for racing.

Or something that needs 4 people to sail it - Soling? Dragon? Not at WSC of course!

Or do an Ivor, John, Dai - mini Ton cup boat? Again - have to sail somewhere else!

Or - to be very practical and not at all cvrda - a Comet Trio (which Jane and I have done!).

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Two boats makes for a lot of fun.

Question, what two boats can 'nest' one one trailer?
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Almost any boats can be double stacked, provided the bottom one isn't rotten!
Rupert
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

I remember a family at Christchurch who had two Tideways for the children, Middle Watch and, I think, First Watch.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Four in a GP14 is way too cosy. The obvious answer is a Wayfarer, kitted out for cruising and camping plus storage for a bivvy tent for the kids on the beach.

I would also have said the Drascombe, but apparently not.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
chris

Post by chris »

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... 61&fref=nf

I guess this is the sort of family fun you are looking for.