what's the draft of a Pegasus? (New poster)

General chat about boats
tomslade

Re: what's the draft of a Pegasus? (New poster)

Post by tomslade »

SO here come my questions, Many many thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to answer any of these newbie questions.

First achievement of the day was getting the mast up. Whats the best way to get perfect rig tension? Is the there meant to be anything securing the mast into the mast foot? Or do the forestay and shrouds keep it in place?
Main sail went up easily just had problems with the kicker, not sure how that is meant to be rigged it seemed about 1 ich too short even with all the pullies loosened off.
Next issue was the main sheet, hanging down from the end of the boom is a block with two short lines attached, how and where do these attach to the transom? Is there a traveller system or horse (not sure of correct terminology)?
Next issue was the jib, seemed to go up ok, but struggles to get full tension on it, i think we had the tack and forestay pinned on the wrong holes.
I did not get to try the spinnaker, mainly cos we are missing a spinnaker pole, but i will worry about that later
There a number of mast fittings that I cant figure out what they are for, will post pics later. As a starter perhaps someone could tell me what this is?
I think that’s enough questions for now, I am grateful for any response.
Its been a fun day today the first of many I hope!
Attachments
What is this?
What is this?
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

What is this?

It is a halyard tensioner. The lever has a hole in the end, which should match a pair of holes and a pin, when assembled the lever will rotate up and down the mast.

The halyard - the wire rope that pulls the jib up - will have a loop in the end. This is to be caught in the hook that is dangling off the lever. Then, you push the lever down, to tighten the halyard. It will 'pop' over centre and lie against the mast, and thus hold the tension in the rig.

What you have there is quite an early version of the device - later ones usually have a sharks tooth kind of rack so that you can vary how much tightness you get.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
tomslade

Post by tomslade »

Thanks for that help
That explains why the rig was so loose, will have to wait for a warm sunny day and I will rig her again
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If you take a look in some of the early photo galleries, you may well find pics of her, which may show some of the bits you are struggling with.
Rupert
keithr

Post by keithr »

If my hazy memory serves me correctly the Peggy was probably rigged with transom track for mainsail.

I have converted all of my Peggies to centre main which is much easier.

Regarding tension I very simply put shrouds as tight as poss then tension forestay so that there is around 1" of rake at the gooseneck ( hang a weight of main halliard at boom level).

Depending how much purchase you have on jib setup you may get more tension on those levers.

My motto is if it feel rights on the water then we are near enough, keep it simlple.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
tomslade

Post by tomslade »

As suggested I have been looking at the old pic s, and there are several pics of Citrene with centre main, which is how I will go forward. Thank for the rake info, it's nice to have idea of what I am aiming for.
roger

Post by roger »

With the correct rake you may find the kicker fits as well.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353