Enterprise questions.

General chat about boats
trebor

Enterprise questions.

Post by trebor »

How do you use the traveller on the back of my enterprise ?
Their is a track across top of transom with a bracket that can be moved from side to side, pulling a piece of string, this can be locked in position with clamcleats.
Would you use this all the time even on a small pond ?
I am assuming this is a performance enhancing device.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Rupert

Re: Enterprise questions.

Post by Rupert »

It might have been years ago, but modern practice is to keep it as centred as class rules allow.
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Got it, leave it, keep it simple. :D
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Really depends on the boom you have.

Ancient Ent, wooden boom with resident earwig population?.........boom bends like crazy no way of controlling leech tension so let the traveller off and control leech tension with the main sheet.
trebor

Post by trebor »

GRP hull, I have two sets of ally rigging, two sets of Sails,
the original mast and boom, the boom is oblong in profile, this set up has a slightly darker blue sail.
The other set looks more modern, the boom is curved, ( I cannot remember make ) in profile, better outhaul, lighter blue sails with lens foot, look to be better made.
Last edited by trebor on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Merlin3241

Post by Merlin3241 »

Upwind in light wind, traveller moved up to windward and sheet eased until the booms near centreline to open the leach and let the airflow off the main.
Medium winds where you can sail the boat flat, traveller on the centre line.
Stronger winds where you're starting to get overpowered, ease the traveller down and keep the sheet tight. Above this loads of kicker and ease the sheet in the gusts to keep the boat flat.
Ents are funny old boats but if you sail in a fleet of them you'll soon learn how important it is to keep the boat flat in all but the lightest of winds. The traveller plays a big part in this.
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

The track is there because the rules when the boat was built said it had to have one. Some had control lines some didn't . Most people threw lines out and used a boom slide secured in the middle of the track and this is all it needs leach control being via the kicker. The theory of moving the slide to windward in light airs and letting it out in a breeze is just that...Theory. There is so much friction in the track that it is practically impossible to move in anything above a flat calm. We all tried at one time or another!! Fix it in the middle and forget it. KISS
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

On a tiny lake, I'd say not to move it. You are likely to use up far more time than you gain, especially bringing the traveller to windward, which has to be swapped each time. While it is true you can centre the boom without leech tension, it is also a great way to go really slow if you get it wrong, with a hooked leech.
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

There seem to be two camps developing here! I fall on the use the traveler side of the lake:

Definitely, on an older Enterprise, where you will not have much in the way of a powerful kicker, then you must allow the traveler to leward as soon as you are having to hike hardish. Its the only way to control power: if you have the boom in the middle and ease the sheet the first chunk of rope going out just lifts the boom and increases sail power (mast straightens). When it is windy the slider will slide when you tack - some vaseline helps. Mine never stuck - it was the type with a plastic slider and aluminium track.

Best of course is to get a strong kicker set up.. then the traveler is entirely redundant.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
trebor

Post by trebor »

The Kicker on older rigging is (I think) 2to1, I have checked on enterprise class site regarding kicker, I think you can use a more powerful kicker if you wish, which is what I intend.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

The kicker is now of optional design meaning that the sky is the limit. 16:1 is the best option and this can be achieved by a simple cascade system at no great cost. It was my experience in Enterprises that letting the traveller out all the way when breezy slowed tacking down significantly and was a disaster if the slide stuck on the windward side. On the other hand my father and his contempories swore by the traveller at least until they got worthwhile kickers.
trebor

Post by trebor »

How do you use adjustable Jib cleats ?
The slide adjusts fore to stern.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

In theory, you adjust them to different wind strengths, which alters the twist in the sail. To begin with, set them to the middle and simply go sailing.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I should add that in light winds they go forwards, which keeps the tension on the leech while allowing fullness in the sail. As the wind picks up, you move the car aft, and this puts more tension on the foot while opening the leech, to allow all that extra air through. Depending on mast rake, the centre setting will put equal tension on both, as it bisects the angle between foot and leech.
Rupert
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

You have opened a can of worms here but ,as ever, there is a relatively easy solution. Lets look at a couple of scenarios.
Fairleads too far forward and the jib leach straightens, it can't actually hook because most are slightly hollowed, while the straight leach chokes the slot moving the fairleads forward also causes the foot to loose its tension and cause a fuller bottom 1/3 of the jib causing poor pointing.
Fairleads too far back flattens the foot and opens the leach causing a wide open slot and a tendency to cause the boat to want to bear away all the time upwind because the wind pushes on the jib rather than flows across it. In very strong winds this is an advantage although I have to admit to heading for the bar when it became worthwhile doing that!!!!
Getting it about right
With the boat on its trolley preferably on a NOT windy day. Mast up , jib up rig tension on. Pull the jib in as per beating and cleat it. The angle of the jib sheet if projected should extend to a point about 2/3 of the way up the luff and there should be no significant crease along the foot. Adjust the fairleads to suit..
Remember that if you change the mast rake the fairleads will need moving and it is better to have them SLIGHTLY too far back than too far forward. When they are about right fix and forget. Jib leach tension can be varied with minor sheet adjustments +/- about 5-6mm
All this assumes that the jib is in reasonable condition.
The Enterprise is a wonderfully simple boat to sail don't complicate it by adjusting stuff that's not needed Just enjoy!!