measurement certs

General chat about boats
SingTheNightSong

measurement certs

Post by SingTheNightSong »

forgive me my ignorance - but i'm a "newbie" to racing (at 69!!) -

is a measurement certificate essential to (for example) prove which "category" a boat goes into
(to put this another way - for a boat to compete at Roadford would he be obliged to produce the measurement cert to "officialdom" - and would that fact be recorded??)(this was the last time the boat was in competition)

(neither the Class Association Secs or the previous owner can find any trace of the MC anywhere!! - and the only solution would appear to be remeasurement - which would be a shame for "E110" - an original Jack Holt boat)

any solutions please?? - "help" - peter horscroft
JimC

Re: measurement certs

Post by JimC »

Remeasurement wouldn't normally mean issuing a new sail number. As long as you've got some reasonable evidence for the number, like it being carved on the hull, or even just a sail, most classes will treat that as good enough evidence - at least provided no-one else is claiming the same number!

Remeasurement is a pretty routine affair normally, most times it only gets awkward if a boat has warped horribly over the years! I guess attitudes will be different in different classes, and I don't know what the Enterprises are like.

Different events will be more or less relaxed about how necessary it is to produce a measurement certificate, but I've not ever been asked for one for a CVRDA event. Maybe if you wanted to do the Nationals it would be a different matter.
SingTheNightSong

Post by SingTheNightSong »

thanks for that :: JimC - "life doesn't get easy!!" - peter
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

No certificate has ever been asked for at any cvrda event!

It may well be that the RYA has some sort of record, as they do for Fireflies, as the Ent has official recognition. But, as Jim says, getting a new certificate should be reasonably straightforward, especially if the Ents have a archiavist looking after such things.
Rupert
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

This is something I had been wondering about too...........what generally is the attitude towards certificates by clubs for us "fun" racers? For example is anyone really going to ask for a certificate on an old Mirror, or GP14 when it is obviously what it says on the sail, and (in our case) an old, ill equipped boat............just thinking that with apparently declining numbers at many clubs, it would seem to be a good thing to take the CVRDA approach and just get folk out there!

I could understand being asked for a certificate if I turned up at a Moth open for example, or even at a club race if I had a newly refurbished GP with all the latest kit.
What is the general feeling about this..........I ask as we are due to meet our proposed club officials tomorrow night, and the lack of Moth certificate (or, indeed one for any other boat) has been bothering me?
Sami.
roger

Post by roger »

Cetainly the cvrda have never asked for a measurement certificate.

I suspect that unless you start beating a people with brand new state of the art boats worth £0000 with a knackered old boat then someone may start asking questions.

I have never been asked for certificates and when I attended the Hornet 60th Europeans they didnt bother to weigh Shoestring even though most of the other boats were weighed. She was no threat to the Hot shots and neither am I :lol:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Some classes will ask for a certificate at a Nationals - the Fireflies do - but I've never been asked at an open for any class.

The only reason I can see it might happen with the cvrda is if someone comes along with a boat they swear blind qualifies, but there is doubt from the organizers. In 15 years, this has never happened, so I doubt it ever will.

I simply can't see a club asking - no one would be in a position to verify anything anyway.

What a certificate can have is the buoyancy endorsement. This used to be asked for, but is now deliberately not, so as to minimize liability to the club or event.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

RYA gold members can get one free certificate per year for classes they administer - it's £20 otherwise. Merlins and Albacores come under them so it's saved me some money.
http://www.rya.org.uk/racing/equipmentc ... cates.aspx
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

The only time I felt I needed a cert for my Finn was when I entered the Nationals at Falmouth in 2012, but I just had to sign the entry form to say the boat measured. I really wouldn't worry about it.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

I have only ever been asked what PY I would like(!) and could I please have a number on the mainsail...but then we are right at the back of the fleet
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
chris

Post by chris »

I can confirm what Rupert and Roger have said:
That certificates have never been mentioned let alone checked at any CVRDA meeting.
There would have to be something very obviously 'out of class' or perhaps 'out of ethos' for anyone to worry.
Buoyancy testing is your affair too. The only thing we would ask on the entry form you sign is that you have suitable insurance.
I doubt if many of the boats that come have a certificate now.

If you go in for you class' nationals or other class events you may well be asked for a certificate though.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Thank you everyone, that takes one little worry off my mind tonight when we go to meet everyone :)
Sami.