Luff groove

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael4

Luff groove

Post by Michael4 »

I've taken apart the wooden top section of a Firefly's Reynolds mast so that I can re-glue it, it had split along the glued join.

The luff groove looks as though it has never been varnished or painted, OK so it is hard to tell but I think it is bare wood.

Is it 'good practice' to varnish or paint the inside of the luff groove prior to reassembly or is it best left bare to avoid sticking etc??

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Luff groove

Post by Ed »

Good question...

I don't know, but personally would suspect that it was originally given a light coat or two of varnish, but the varnish in the groove would of been rubbed off by the sail being pulled up and down the groove.

If the mast was apart, I would use something very thin and hard, like UCP, Eposeal, Epoxy clear primer or even thinned G4 and give the groove a few coats, and then sand it down, just enough to seal the grain, but not enough to give any depth of coating.

But in the end, I don't know....that's just my thoughts

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Ta,

Just noticed the clock on the forum hasn't moved forward to British Summertime...well it hasn't on my Mac anyway!
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

It's CVRDA time, always approximate.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
chris

Post by chris »

I think it is likely they were bare but I've usually put something on to seal it. if you do it before assembly it isessential not to get any on the about-to-be-glued joint. Ive done it after gluing with dilute varnish and a cloth worked into the groove. Get the cloth or sponge into the groove and then drip a little varnish in and work it up and down.