Aussie Scow Moth "Billabong" , Imperium design , for sale

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
iowlen

Aussie Scow Moth "Billabong" , Imperium design , for sale

Post by iowlen »

My Aussie Scow Moth "Billabong" is reluctantly for sale ... Imperium design , built in 1973 , sail number K3438 ... Full history available ... Beautiful condition , fully refurbished in April 2015 , freshly painted black hull and varnished decks using quality materials , black progrip , rigging just reworked with Harken blocks and quality lines. Excellent Caws fully battened fat head sail , ally spars , cover and launching trolley. Easy to store , easy to rig up , and really fun to sail ... Always gets lots of attention and positive comments , and sailing her always puts a great big grin on your face. Only selling as I have another two Aussie scow Moths , and I have just bought a Burnham scow which is being kept in a barn until I have room at home ... Located on the Isle of Wight ... NB, Photos of hull in garden were taken last week after fresh paint & varnish , and the sailing photos were taken before the refurbishment... Lovely looking Aussie scow ... Ready to go sailing right now , I sailed her last weekend ... £600 ... Contact Ray on 01983 740251 , or email carolray1@hotmail.co.uk
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Aussie Scow Moth "Billabong" , Imperium design , for sal

Post by Ed »

Beautiful.....If I was a few stone lighter....

Reckon there must be at least a few hundred quid of progrip too!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
roger

Post by roger »

Oh if only I had room. :(
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If only I had knees that would cope.
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

................if only I weighed 8 stone less............... :lol:
iowlen

Post by iowlen »

Now on eBay with a 500 quid starting price , item 271894170041.
Marc FD

Post by Marc FD »

Afternoon Ray,

I'm seriously looking at getting back on the water after far too many 'dry' years, and was rather taken by the pictures of 'Billabong.' I guess the first question, is how much weight will she carry? Most Moths seem to stop at about 80kg - but although I'm busy reducing my weight - I'm still over 90kg. Other than that, she looks like she might suit a large piece of (usually) fairly flat water, like Grafham.

Anyway, I'd be very grateful for your thoughts, as my only real Moth experience was falling out of a Phobia several times, in my youth - and you don't have to sail one for very long to do that!

Cheers,

Marc
iowlen

Post by iowlen »

Hi Marc ... Billabong is now with a new owner in the Bristol area. I still have two Aussie scow Moths and they really are fun to sail.
I have Red Ned which is definitely not for sale and I also have a professionally ( Geoff Osman ) built Imperium hull , the same design as Billabong , which is literally like brand new and just needs re-decking , which is possibly for sale.
I'm 12 1/2 stone & my mate Len who sails them is almost 13 stone and we don't have any problems. They are the most stable Moth you will come across and really fun on flatish water , especially when the wind picks up. Like all 40+ year old Moth's , you sail them , tinker with them , sail them and tinker with them again. I've personally found Aussie scows to be the most fun of all Moths , especially when you keep everything as simple as possible so you can spend your sailing time with a big grin on your face rather than swimming !