Holt Builders Plate

Post your requirements here
simonf

Holt Builders Plate

Post by simonf »

Disaster....the 'Built by Jack Holt' builders plate damaged by over exuberant use of heat gun - anyone have an example I could beg/buy?

About inch and half square and made of a strange white plastic - reads:

Designed and Built
by JACK HOLT Ltd.
Embankment
Putney
SW15

..not the end of the world as she's a boat to sail rather than look at and she's had a number of 'updates' over the years, but I'd like this detail to be right...

best rgds

simonf
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Holt Builders Plate

Post by Ed »

I don't......but Chris did have some made up I think.

Don't know if he has any left.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

HOLT name plaque.pdf
(48.59 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
I printed on the water proof self adhesive paper and mounted that on thin plastic, bending over a good bit behind before it was screwed down. It came out as a decent version. If it could be machine engraved onto plastic that would be even better, but without looking very closely I don't think most people would realize.
Feel free to use this, which my graphic artist daughter prepared
simonf

Post by simonf »

Chris you're a star! (..and so's your daughter..) - many thanks!

best rgds

simonf
chris

Post by chris »

By the way I decided I would put some varnish over it in case it wasn't very UV or water proof. I then put it out side to dry. I didn't notice it started to rain about an hour later The result was actually ideal as it added 40years of patina in one go. Another one I didn't varnish and has faded and the ink has slightly changed colour. I don't know if that is because I didn't varnish it or because I used cheap printer ink rather than the 'proper' stuff.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Most printer inks will fade if left in full sunlight for any period of time. A good UV varnish should help, but I don't think it will be the complete answer. 'Real' ink rather than cheapo ink would help also I would guess.

You might do better with a laser printer, but then you would need to check whether you could use a waterproof paper as laser-printers are much fussier about what paper is used.

As you already have the artwork, you might well find that it is easy enough to get one made from plastic or laminate sheeting with a laser-cutter. Laser cutters have a powersetting for 'cut' and also one for 'burn' which just leaves the surface slightly indented and burned black. Thinking about it, this should work well. Find someone who makes up laminate signing, they could do it.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
chris

Post by chris »

good idea, Ed
Dare Barry

Post by Dare Barry »

I am looking for one of these for N1002 which I rebuilt recently. Enquired about getting one made, they wanted £45, not keen.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Probably, nearly all the cost will be in the set up so maybe £45 for one, £46 for two ........

Opportunity for pooling demand?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I reckon it depends on who you go to...

Engraves seem to just charge what they think the market can bear or what they can get away with.

If you have the artwork, it costs them pretty much nothing more that a few pence for the laminate sheeting. Set up is nothing more that finding a bit of laminate, lying it on the machine and hitting the 'go' button.

The laser cutter at work will become freer as soon as end of year shows are all done. I might see about making a few then. If anyone is interested, get in touch.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
chris