Classic/ Lowrider Moth training at Oxford SC

Chat about CVRDA events
milesj

Re: Classic/ Lowrider Moth training at Oxford SC

Post by milesj »

How likely is the Moth to take off if I tow it with the trampolines still attached, and should I fit reflectors on the corners for towing?

Or, is it best to dismantle?
Miles

Harrier no 5
International Moth, Magnum 7 K3905
Ancient Mirror Dinghy
Merlin Rocket 3542
Merlin Rocket 3646
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I think I'd rather take those wings off for towing, since other drivers tend not to notice them [as you have already noted]
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Its not likely to take off due to the wings, not at legal towing speeds anyway :wink:

I have towed and roof-racked all sorts of Moths with and without wings. Only find it a problem when towing with a classic car like my MGB because the wings are a lot wider than the car. Most modern cars are pretty wide anyway (try fitting them in a standard garage!) so overhang is not huge either side.
Even so, I think reflectors or some Hi-viz on the projecting bits is a sensible precaution, and a decent wide lighting board will help dim drivers realise its a wide load.
When towing, its always a case of driving defensively, and some extra anticipation is required before shooting through gaps or passing obstructions.

What I find more concerning, for the survival of the boat anyway, is the terrible state of the roads and the pounding the hull can take while being transported. Always use a good cradle support on the trolley, ideally cradling around a bulkhead with a wide carpeted pad, and strap down firmly so that trailer and boat move in unison. I prefer to use 10" trailer wheels rather than the standard 8" because the tyres can be run at lower pressure to give a softer ride.

Take it steady, hope to see all of the boat at Oxford.
(That goes for you too Alan!!!)

Lyndon
Moth.K3894

Post by Moth.K3894 »

Hi All,

Been out a 2nd time on the new moth and got up sailing. I was helped by my bother in a inflatable dinghy so we took turns tying out capsize recoveries and very nearly pulled off a start by leaning in over the rail and sheeting the main on and getting in as the main pulls the wing up. Nearly but not quite. So after getting frustrated we just got in with assistance and went sailing, great fun once up and running.

Unfortunately in my final attempt I tried to leap over the wing (I've seen the youngsters do this) from the inside during a soft capsize and bailed out by falling back into the water. I landed on the boom (which is fine) but have badly sprained my ankle and have to wear a boot and crutches for 6 weeks!! Durrr.

So next weekend is no sailing for me but I might still come up and watch you guys rig and practice. So that I can make notes for 6 weeks time.

Cheers

Mike
K.3894
Attachments
DSCN1048 v3.jpg
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi there Mothists,

Just a quick post to confirm that the training day at Oxford Sailing Club is still going ahead this coming Saturday 6th June. I was at the club this afternoon and managed to establish that the galley will be open for at least part of the day so hot food and drinks should be available. Two of my moths are now at the club as I have pre-positioned the Magnum 6 and the Shelley ready for the weekend. All we need now is a decent forecast and a few people turning up with their boats to make it the largest gathering of non-foiling and classic moths in recent history. Hopefully it will also prove to a valuable and enjoyable exercise for those participating and Lyndon and I will do our best to achieve both.
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate injury Mike, but it would still be nice if you could make it and as you suggest possibly pick up a few hints and tips that might save you from further harm once you are fit enough to try again!

If you need any information about the club and how to find it please go on to the website www.oxfordsailingclub.com/
or message me with any queries.

Hope to see you there.

Regards

Ian M
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ian and other mad manic mothists....................

Y&Y will be there! All I need is for some of you to do something photogenic (Alan, Miles, take one step forward) and we'll have a story!

D
David H
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Well all being well prime8 is out the garage and ready on the trailer :lol: if nothing go's wrong hope to be down Friday night stuart
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
Moth.K3894

Post by Moth.K3894 »

Hi Ian,

I now have to work for a few hours tomorrow. I would really like to come up and see the technique for getting in the boat, do you have an idea of what time you will be doing that because I could come up in the morning and work pm or work in the morning and come up for the afternoon. If you are starting at 10 it looks like I might come up for the afternoon.

Thanks
Mike
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Mike,

Yes after lunch is probably the best bet as we should have everybodys boats sorted by then and be out on the water doing some training exercises. We will probably cover capsise recovery before lunch, but with the forecast I think that you be able to observe several practical demonstrations of both good and bad technique which may help you later!
See you tomorrow hopefully.

Regards

Ian
Moth.K3894

Post by Moth.K3894 »

Thanks, I will go in as early as possible and try to be up there about 11.30am.

15-20knts looks lovely.....

Mike
davidh

Post by davidh »

Well done to Ian for organising a super event, just a shame there was too much wind..... as in lots too much.

Thank you too Alan for providing some excellent photographic material - and 49 years after the song, the REAL Yellow Submarine made an on the water, in the water and then sadly, back off the water with some serious hull damage.

This was not the only talking point - in Eurovision it is "null points" but in Moth world it is 3 points....on the licence for speeding (ouch #2!)
The events of the day should be appearing on Y&Y.com soon

Dougal
David H
milesj

Post by milesj »

Just to say thank you to Ian, Lyndon, Alan and all others for the welcome to the moth clan. Will practice the climbing around technique to get back on board, and hopefully at the next gathering we can all get afloat.

Think I might have to do some aesthetic smartening up of the boat having seen the paint finishes she was in the company of.

Thanks again.
Miles

Harrier no 5
International Moth, Magnum 7 K3905
Ancient Mirror Dinghy
Merlin Rocket 3542
Merlin Rocket 3646
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Thanks Ian for organising the weekend and to Lyndon for the help and tips and Alan for the entertainment great weekend and got to sail today so a bonus even if I did break it in the first race but it's nice to put into practice some of the information about sails and rigs thanks again stuart

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

And I can't wait to see David's photos there should be some corkers Alan trying to waterski behind a magnum lol

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

A big thankyou to all those who made the trip to Oxford SC for the training day, it was great to see so many Moths together in one place and Dougal should have the pictures to prove it. I sincerely hope that everyone got something out of the day in spite of the weather gods limiting the on the water activity by chucking 25-30 knots at us all afternoon!
In contrast, today would have been almost perfect and we would have been able to put nearly everything we talked about in the classroom into practice on the water, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.
The "three mothkiteers" that stayed overnight joined in the club racing today and it was a real treat for me to have some other moths to sail against for a change.
Unfortunately I can't make it to Clywedog this time round, but I will be at Roadford and hope to see a few more Moths there this year including Sam if he gets the Magnum 6 mended in time!

Best regards

Ian