Roadford Nationals important

Chat about CVRDA events
Pat

Re: Roadford Nationals important

Post by Pat »

The results are now on the main site front page http://www.cvrda.org
Thanks to Alan and team and to everyone for a great weekend.
If anyone has pictures I can put in the main gallery please pm me (button below) for my email - I also have a cvrda DropBox account that you can load them to if they are large.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

pat. have emailed several to you last night
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
chris

Post by chris »

Pat, Just wondering if you remembered to change my handicap from cotton to Dacron for the two Sunday races. I seem to have done rather better for those two.
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Following Chris's earlier post can I offer " Roadford, A view from a medium blue Albacore"
The trip from Lincoln is best glossed over. I wasn't aware that the M5 is in fact a car park for about 30 miles of its length. When we did finally arrive it was nice to be greeted by friends from previous events and to look over the opposition. Studying the lake didn't seem to help much but at least I thought I knew more or less where the marks were.
Race 1. Lightish breeze very shifty with a tendency to increase. Start line fairly short for the number of boats and not quite sure which the windward mark is so a conservative mid line start on the front rank seemed in order. Sailed off to the wrong mark to start with (with a lead boat!! How do you do that?) In the leading bunch at the leeward mark and then a beat that went near perfectly from our point of view and we took 2nd place to the Osprey on the water and apparently went on to win on time.
Race 2. More breeze Boat now planing most of the time down wind and the beat becoming a bit one sided. Safe start and stayed with the leading bunch all the way round. The Osprey disappeared over the horizon and it was near perfect Moth conditions. We had a superb tactical race with John Barnes in his Finn which just went in our favour. Great fun
Race 3 Still more breeze and we were beginning to feel it a bit now. Wind shift just before the start put us in the wrong place completely. Bear off a bit for speed then tack. Good plan if it works! It did and we crossed the whole fleet, excepting the Osprey, on port and rounded second so we had to wait for the Moths to come trooping past on the reaches. Another excellent race with J.B. and his Finn.
Enjoyed the boat judging, AGM and BBQ and particularly the beer and cider fuelled conversation afterwards . The end of a near perfect day.
Race 4 Rather surprisingly no real hangover Much lighter winds and a different course. I made a right bish of the start and found myself surrounded at the first mark while the leaders just sailed of however there was enough in the beats to give us a chance to pull through which we did to take line honours just piping J,B on the last beat after the Osprey had retired ( Sally had to sponge the crocodile tears out of the boat when we saw them go in.)
Race 5 Pretty much a rerun of race 4 but this time we nailed the start and had one hell of a tussle with Ian Mathews and Lyndon Beasley and their Moths until they took it in turns to fall in. The Osprey was made to do an extra lap and still won on time. Well done them.
All in all the best sailing weekend we have had for years. Good racing, Friendly people and no prima donnas plus a memorable fruit cake. Thanks Lyndon.
On the way home even the traffic moved!! The only question I have is why was my Albacore sailed off a different handicap to the other two?
Great weekend
Sam
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Looks like the event has already been written up - http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/1 ... oat-Trophy
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Great weekend, best weather I've ever seen at a CVRDA event :lol: thanks to Alan and crew for organising such a fantastic event... Good to see old friends there, really enjoyed the whole thing...

The Bar-b-q was up to Alan's usual high standard, more than we could eat or drink, and thanks to all who prepared nibbles cake etc..

Nice to see Sam and Sally again, especially Sam who kept us entertained throughout the evening with his great humour, thanks Sam :D

Thanks also to all those who gave helpful tips and advice, they may be sorry next time as we finally seemed to get the 14 going well and now have new targets to get in front of

Thanks also to Dean for putting up with my rather dubious helming, great crewing Dean, thanks.

Can't wait for the next one, hoping to see you all at Shearwater.
Chrisrjwood
Jollyboat J325 Serendipity
Rouse I14 'Brown Trousers' K1094
Kirby 7 I14 Last Chance K1120
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Uffa Fox I14 Nymph K524 (under restoration)
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

As I couldn't be there, thanks for the write up Sam. It sounds like a good event. My Finn sails off a different handicap than the others becasue it's older, and only Alan complains!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Post by roger »

Sorry i couldnt make it.

So whats the gossip, who won the Wheelnut, and what did they do to deserve it, who won best on land and boat to take home.

Did the AGM over run into beer time?

Good to hear it a was successfu event and great to see new faces.

I am trying to change work dates for Shearwater and will have a choice of boats to bring none of which are suitable for Shearwater.

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

I've sent a write-up to Pat to put on the front page which includes the contributions from Sam and David (many thanks for those). All revealed there.

The AGM overran severely to about 29 minutes! Humble apologies. But we had a good discussion on the 'dates of eligability' and about publicity etc....more on that later.

The wing nut ( which still hasn't made its way back) was not awarded this year though there were a few less than outstanding examples of gross stupidity or gear failure. Instead we awarded a bottle to Pat and Sandy for an act or supreme gallantry...you will have to read the write up to find out more.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Thanks all for a great w/end of sailing, never thought handicap racing could be so enjoyable i just forgot the PY numbers and enjoyed the sailing.
Tried so hard to get the better of Sam and Caroline in the Albacore on the water, but they were just to clever !!!! well done but what good close racing in all the races.
Even on the last race where i completely messed the start it was still a challenge to get back in touch with the leading group.
Lovely boats, good weather and great racing (not forgetting the friendly faces) see you again.
Thanks
Barney
John B - Finn 563
Barney

Post by Barney »

oops sorry should have said Sally (not Caroline)
jb
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Thank you all for your kind words. It makes all the hassle of organising an event worthwhile. May I also thank everyone for taking part, with out you there is no event. I'm glad that the journeys home were speeder than on the way down. See you at Banbury?
Regards Alan
chris

Post by chris »

Full write up on the home page.
Click on the cvrda logo flag, top left.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Nikky and I are now on our way home after having stayed on at Roadford for an extra couple of days. Big thanks to Alan and Shona for a great event and to everyone who made it so friendly and welcoming, even for our happy dogs.

It was great to get Agamemnon afloat again at last, and what better way to do it!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

That was meant to say yappy, or even clappy yappy.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World