Int Moth (Imperium scow) mast wanted

Post your requirements here
consur

Int Moth (Imperium scow) mast wanted

Post by consur »

I've broken the Needlespar mast on my scow, number 3197 circa 1972 vintage, so I need a tracked mast to suit the original boltrope sail which still has life in it. It's not repairable as it is both bent and completely snapped off above the shroud attachments. The mast heel to gooseneck (not that it has a gooseneck, just a transverse hole through the mast) distance is 53cms, as it's a scow. A skiff mast will be shorter in this measurement but I guess I could extend a skiff mast with a suitable tube at the bottom, or even with a bit off this broken mast. Anyone got a spare unwanted Needlespar moth mast lying around by any chance?
JimC

Re: Int Moth (Imperium scow) mast wanted

Post by JimC »

Also need to say whether its an old type long boom short luff sail, or a more modern long luff?
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Woops, must have been quite a crash!
As you say, most moth masts are a lot shorter from step to boom due to the higher foredeck.
I suggest you have a look for something like a Solo mast, as being keel stepped there will be plenty of length to cut down. Needlespars are not favoured by the Solo fleet so usually come cheap.

Hope you get back on the water soon
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

I have had a Scow Needlespar and a Solo Needlespar and the difference in weight due to wall thickness was quite considerable, the Solo mast is also much stiffer. I have a Solo Needlespar in the garage which is surplus to my requirements but as I live in Cornwall it probably too far to collect.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
consur

Post by consur »

Tired after sailing and failed to take account of low hanging tree branch whilst towing. Don't know if this is less honourable than breaking it in a capsize, certainly more stupid and I wasn't going to own up to this.

The distance from gooseneck to top black band is 510cms (sorry to mix units).

Hope this gives a clearer picture of what is required.

PS the tree has been given a dose of the saw today. That'l larn it.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Are unstayed Needlespars different? In the unlikely event that they aren't, it might be worth measuring an old Lightning or OK mast.
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Un stayed Needlespars are very different. The round masts have an oval bore, the Delta mast on the Lightning has a round bore, both because the sideways bend and fore and aft bend characteristics are different.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
consur

Post by consur »

It's a round section, thin-walled and I had originally typed one and seven eighths inches in diameter but this didn't make it into the final post, which is why I mentioned mixed units after giving the length in centimeters. I've had a Lightning and the section is indeed completely different. I've also had a Hornet with a Needlespar and this was completely different again, being much thicker in wall section and with a separate tapered topmast sleeved onto a reduced section of the main spar.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

A pity. Sounds like you are looking for a Needlespars in a haystack.
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I have a needlespar off a fireball. It has a tapered top and is of course stayed. You could look up the dimensions on the fireball site - https://www.jsaf.or.jp/odc/class/fireball/ifcr-2003.pdf

If it could be of use to you its FTAGH.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
consur

Post by consur »

I've sent you an email.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi George
Would a Nat. 12 mast work or a bare extrusion for an Int Canoe? Failing that have you tried IYE at Brightlingsea as they used to have all sorts of different types of tube. You could also try Andy Possell at Eurospars Plymouth who might be worth talking to.
I did the same with a new Seldon mast(FD) for the Dolphin. Cheers Alan
JimC

Post by JimC »

alan williams wrote:or a bare extrusion for an Int Canoe?
Do you have one? I need a tin Canoe mast to get a 1985 ish boat back on the water.

Jim C
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Sorry Jim
I don't have one it was just a thought to maybe find a solution to George's problem. I would have thought that Tin Canoe masts are like Tin Finn masts if you want one there is probably one tucked away in a garage somewhere it's just making the initial contact that's difficult.
Cheers Alan
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I have one - but it's cracked between the shroud holes. Does have another use though

IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith