Bulkhead

share hints, tips and experiences
realnutter

Bulkhead

Post by realnutter »

This pic clearly show my N12 was build with a full front bulkhead..

But somewhere along the line, it had an 18" square hole cut in it.. presumably to allow access for hull repair.. It's now got a nasty buoyancy bag stuffed in the bow...

Question is, what should I do? Check for leaks, and permanently reinstate the bulkhead? Make a sealable hatch for the hole? Make a non-sealable hatch, and keep the hateful airbag? Stuff the bow with empty plastic milk bottles??

Thoughts, please?

Matt
Matt

Int Moth K2992
trebor

Re: Bulkhead

Post by trebor »

I would put a hatch in place, being their is already a hole there.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
JimC

Post by JimC »

Airbags are evil, so anything you can do to eliminate them makes the world a better place. However it might be that there was chronic leakage and the owner gave up and put an airbag in there, with the 18" hole necessary to give enough access. I should think I'd glue a patch on temporarily and see if it stays watertight, and if it does then do a proper replacement, but not be surprised if the tank leaks like a sieve.
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

I'm going to put her in the water on Saturday, and see what happens............

There was a lot of water in her when I collected her but the lads who owned her didn't appear to care for her much... she needs to be kept level so both front and rear tanks can drain into the cockpit, and then out of the self bailers...

Matt
Matt

Int Moth K2992