Looking for a trailer that would fit a TOY

Post your requirements here
phil58490

Looking for a trailer that would fit a TOY

Post by phil58490 »

I have agreed to buy a TOY dinghy it has a trolley but no trailer, to collect it I need to buy or borrow a trailer. Has anyone got one they want to sell or could loan me to collect my new TOY. thanks, Phil
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
JimC

Re: Looking for a trailer that would fit a TOY

Post by JimC »

I would have thought the Toy would be very roof rackable. I'd probably do it that way, but I have a van with a nice high legal roof load.

The trouble with trying to do trailers to fit a rather different shape boat like the Toy is that the chances of getting the chocking right is low, and the chances of transit damage is therefore rather high. I think, were I in your situation, with the Toy being the shape it is, I might see if I could beg or borrow a flat bed trailer and simply put the boat on the trailer, on tyres or (if the trolley padding is good) on the trolley.

Another alternative if the trolley padding is decent is to borrow a combi base and simply lash the trolley to the trailer. If you take the wheels off the trolley and use plenty of padding between trolley and trailer that will work OK. You could even use an ordinary road trailer and take all the chocks and fittings off and tie the wheel less trolley to that. My IC has done hundreds of miles like that!

Be wary though if the launching trolley has minimal chocks rather than a nice cradle.
Last edited by JimC on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Your ToY is just down the road from me, I think, and I have a 2000 to collect from Plymouth. I have been trying to think of a way we could split the journey, if that interested you. The 2000 has a road trailer.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

That could save us both about 300 miles, the main problem is that the TOY doesn't have a trailer. I'm sure that we could find somewhere suitable about half way making it a practical one day trip as I was looking at a stop over. The TOY is at Blackwater sc which the owner tells me is near Maldon in Essex. He is quite easy as to how soon the Toy needs to be collected. Just need a trailer, have you got one that I could buy or borrow to make it possible?

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Phil
You could borrow my trailer base it's at Roadford.
Cheers Al
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

alan williams wrote:Hi Phil
You could borrow my trailer base it's at Roadford.
Cheers Al
Thanks for the offer but I think I am buying one from Rupert as I will need one to move the TOY about. If it doesn't work out I will get back to you.

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Phil have you managed to sort some thing out? If not i could potentially sell you a trailer and bring the ToY on it, then meet you part way. I have a spare road base which suits my contender, or the club might sell the trailer which comes with the 2000 we are buying.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Hi Nessa,
I have pm'd you my phone number, can you give me a ring and we can possibly arrange something,

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nikky and I are throwing a Lightning sail into the mix, too! Meeting in Purton is fine by me.
Rupert
Simon Hewitt

Post by Simon Hewitt »

Did you manage to collect your TOY - just in case you changed your mind, I am looking to buy one !
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

I have sent you a message, regards, Phil

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold