Looking for a TOY

Post your requirements here
Simon Hewitt

Looking for a TOY

Post by Simon Hewitt »

When I was a teenager I owned a TOY and I am now looking to buy one to re-live my youth ! Any condition considered. I would love to find my old boat - I don't know the sail number but it has a big thistle painted on the rudder. Cheers, Simon Hewitt 07900001313 simon.hewitt99@btinternet.com
azimuth

Re: Looking for a TOY

Post by azimuth »

There's one on the Facebook dinghies and dinghy bits for sale for sale group
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
Simon Hewitt

Post by Simon Hewitt »

Great, thanks - I'm on the case !
Simon Hewitt

Post by Simon Hewitt »

Bought it ! Well pleased ! Keen to get in touch with any other TOY owners.
amyb

Post by amyb »

I have ToY 76, that I've patched up and sailed last year at most of the CVRDA events.
Another guy has just bought a ToY looking to come to future events, so we should have some good competition.

I've looking forward to this years events, and really testing how leak proof I've made her!

Amy
Simon Hewitt

Post by Simon Hewitt »

Hi Amy - I think mine is sail number 66, but the sail is a bit tatty so I am not 100% sure ! I am planning to buy a second hand Solo sail - I understand that they are identical. Interested in your comment about making yours leak proof - I did wonder if they leak around the hull / deck join. I will be checking that and may get back to you for some tips as to how best to solve it !

I would be really interested in any ToY history / info - I did see the bit written by Tony Allen describing how it all came about, which was interesting. My email is simon.hewitt99@btinternet.com if there is anything you can share.

Looking forward to getting it out on the water as soon as the weather warms up. The last time I sailed one was when I owned a ToY at the age of 18 or 19. I am now 60, so it should be interesting !
Cheers
Simon
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm an ex ToY sailor. My ToY had a Solo sail, which worked OK in a blow, but was seriously under powered otherwise. The rig was changed, I assume for the Olympic trials, to 10 sqM. Not tried the boat with the big rig, but I suspect a better feel.
Rupert
Simon Hewitt

Post by Simon Hewitt »

That's really useful. I have just checked and now see that the Solo main is 8.36m2 which is the same as the TOY was originally, rather than the subsequent 10m2 the TOY was later fitted with. Being a medium sized chap, it sounds like I will need the full 10m2, in which case it looks like I might have to stump up for a brand new one. Damn !

Anybody got any ideas who could make me a nice new sail at modest cost using a tatty old one as a pattern ?
amyb

Post by amyb »

I've worked hard and gathered a little information, the bit on the dinghy database came from me after emailing Tony Allen for his story. Are you planning to come and race at some of the events this year?
amy
amyb

Post by amyb »

Added thought,

you can confirm the number on the hull. It has been indented on the starboard side of the transom just under the lip.
Simon Hewitt

Post by Simon Hewitt »

Thanks Amy. I have looked for the hull number but cannot see anything - I suspect the hull has been painted a few times. I will see if I can gently strip off some of the paint.
I hope to be able to come to some events this year - I tend to be away quite a lot, but will certainly try to make it if I can.
Simon