My old Hornet - Rev. Dr. Syn

General chat about boats
Simon Hewitt

My old Hornet - Rev. Dr. Syn

Post by Simon Hewitt »

When I was 17 - which amazingly was in 1972 - my brother and I owned a lovely Hornet called Rev. Dr. Syn. She had a sliding seat, black hull and varnished deck, and at the time I though she was the coolest boat I had ever seen - I still think so ! just wondering if she is still alive - I really hope so.
alan williams

Re: My old Hornet - Rev. Dr. Syn

Post by alan williams »

Hi Simon what was her number?
I owned Hornet 1786 2063 2153 . I was at Uni at the time you were in the fleet but remember the boat and sailed Hornets For 35 years.
Cheers Al
Simon Hewitt

Post by Simon Hewitt »

Sadly I cannot remember what number she was, and do not have any photos. Photos were scarce in those days !
roger

Post by roger »

It may be worth contacting the Hornet association on their website http://www.hornet.org.uk.

there are some people with long memories and old yearbooks who may help with the history.

There has been a resurgence in numbers of old Plank Hornets. At one point we thought there were none left but there are a few emerging from sheds.

There Class is trying to put together an archive of known boats so the whereabouts of your boat may be known.

Good luck in your search and if you find her come out and play I currently have four in various states of repair.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
roger

Post by roger »

Simon,

I have asked some questions(on facebook page)and got some info but she is not on our current list of boats.
However they do appear on ebay occasionally.
We are currently starting up a classic fleet which we hope will bring some of the older boats out of the sheds to come and sail.

Here is the reply I received which gives you the sail number but not much more than you already know.

The boat has the sail number 1141 and was built in 1966, owned originally by P.W.Pragnell and based in Middlesex. He sold it to S and N Hewitt in 1972 who were based in London. Nothing is known by me. The black hull be caused by the use of graphite paint, introduced that year, to make the boats go faster. The boat was built at the beginning of Rigden being the preferred builder.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Simon Hewitt

Post by Simon Hewitt »

Thanks, that's interesting. I have in fact just come across an old photo in my Mum's attic of the boat - it was indeed sail number 1141.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Graphite !!!! I remember it well and mothers comments when we returned from the garage after an afternoon cutting back to get the finish required.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Graphspeed (graphite paint) was a wonderful invention that was supposed to make the surface slippery in water. Sadly it wasn't waterproof, although it did a good job of keeping a soggy bottom soggy.
Kept my Dad in the boat repair business busy for many years after the craze.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Be careful the last thing you need is a soggy bottom. Never used the black stuff but did use smoothy in both the white and baby pink versions.
Cheers Al