Extrordinary!

General chat about boats
Michael Brigg

Extrordinary!

Post by Michael Brigg »

Worth having just as a conversation piece!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clinker-built ... Sw9uFW-Wq1
Michael Brigg
Michael4

Re: Extrordinary!

Post by Michael4 »

Wow, that is quite something!

There was a 'reverse clinker' launch for sale around here not that long a go, built by Harry Feltham,
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

There is also the "Solent Seagull" which had a reverse clinker build.

http://www.cvrda.org/wp-cvrda/dinghydat ... t-seagull/

They used to say the reverse planking acted as a sort of "multiple keel" and would help the hull to "Grip" the water on the leeward surface, giving better upwind performance.

Complete tosh of course.

The main advantage is in the construction. The hull strakes can be laid up on frames, a bit like in the film of Firefly construction and doesn't need all the tricky fiddly work of making a keel. which can be added on to the completed hull.

John Leather's book (Bible actually) on Clinker boatbuilding states the main advantage is that they are easier to clean out. Sand and stuff will run easily down into the bilge and not get caught up on the edge of the lands on the inner surface. Quite an advantage too if you work the boat for fishing.

Perhaps that had a part to play in the construction methods used in Fairey Marine. I think the Solent Seagull originated from the Hamble?

Dougall?
Michael Brigg
JimC

Post by JimC »

There must be a story behind building a boat like that.I suppose it must be long gone though. Have any of you ever seen anything like that? I don't think I have.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I thought it looked like something a boatbuilder would build just because he could.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
trebor

Post by trebor »

Seems strange to me to have 2 rowing positions on such a small boat, unbalanced as well, unless it is longer than it looks.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

trebor wrote:Seems strange to me to have 2 rowing positions on such a small boat, unbalanced as well, unless it is longer than it looks.
The rowing positions are balanced . The is a pair of rowlocks for the bow and centre thwarts. allowing for range of rowing options.

One up: One man on the centre thwart with his luggage ll around him.
Two up: Passenger in the stern the oarsman rows from the bow
Three up: One on each thwart, with either bow man or centre seat to row... or both, with pair of oars each if two pairs are carried.
Four up: One each end and two in the middle. Bow man rows, or (Most fun when returning from the pub) one oar each, rowing from the centre!

I have had a think on this and just wondered if it could have been built as prop for a film. Something like "The Vikings" (Kirk Douglas hurling axes at his wayward girlfriends plaits, my favourite clip!)

...or perhaps from "Hook," or "The Hobbit" or some other Elvish fantasy.

If that is the case it will be a design of untested quality. It is one thing to float for one or two "takes" but more rigorous use might find the construction wanting.

Nevertheless, a fun design that I would enjoy and may be one day an ideal "grandpa" boat but definitely "caveat emptor!"
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

FYI..... Jack Holt considered the pros and cons of building a boat in reverse clinker and actually went ahead and built a Merlin Rocket using that technique. In the end, Jack rejected the idea for the simple reason - it didn't work.

D
David H
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

...only a 990 mile round trip to pick it up...
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Michael4 wrote:...only a 990 mile round trip to pick it up...
Oh crap.

Thank goodness I hadn't put a bid in yet. :?
Michael Brigg