Seeking Sunfish

General chat about boats
RDP

Seeking Sunfish

Post by RDP »

Reputedly the world's most numerous dinghy but in Britain as rare as hen's teeth. Any ideas where I might find one?
Michael Brigg

Re: Seeking Sunfish

Post by Michael Brigg »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laser-Sunfish-s ... 234wt_1106

Seems an awful lot of dosh, but it looks to be in almost mint condition.
+ All the kit (Worth @ £300)
+ Road trailer (Worth @ £250 - £300 for a good one)
+ Decent launch trolley (Worth @ £150 -200 in good condition)
+ Ready to sail right now...PRiceless.

Actually, if everyone in the family is on board for this boat its a good buy!
Michael Brigg
RDP

Post by RDP »

Yes Michael, a real bargain for someone but I am really looking for something a little older and a lot cheaper. Something I can leave on beach without worrying about it.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

RDP wrote: Something I can leave on beach without worrying about it.
I understand where you arr coming from, though I would still emphasise in this boat about the many economies ultimately that it carries.
As noted it really does come with everything. I forgot to mention also the barely used cover. (Worth @ £100) and after looking at all of these things together, if you remove the pakage of stuff it comes with from the price, then you get the (pristine) hull for just two or three hundred.

Imagine finding a restoration project...(I remember there was one on ebay @ 5-10 years ago.) I am a sad individual who saaves ebay sales details on boats I liked, and here is the Ad from that sale!!
Alcort Sunfish - c.1960
$(KGrHqQOKi4E2HfOpyU6BNmOWGGl+Q~~_12.jpg
$(KGrHqQOKp0E1rB!+i)lBNmOWVzNow~~_12.jpg

A classic Sunfish - the Laser of it's day. Over 500,000 built so far - see Wikipedia and http://www.sunfishforum.com for more information.

This wooden boat was restored in the 1980's, painted in 1993 and dry-stored since. It was my father's project, then mine (we're slow workers) - I am only selling as I am moving abroad.

The boat is nearly finished - as far as I can see all the major parts are present and a long weekend's work will see her sailing again after 40 years in storage!

Could do with another coat of paint on the hull due to fading and where a few of the brass screws have "bled" through the paint. The deck looks fine but needs a good wash.

The mast and boom are aluminium; the Jeckell's-made sail (looks correct despite carrying the Alcort Flying Fish logo; not sure why) has faded in places, but is still usable. Some small rope repairs of the sail-mast/boom lashings are required, as are new halyards for the mast/sail assembly.

The rudder, tiller and centre board are all present as are all (most?) of the fixings.

There is no trailer, so the buyer definitely collects (from Northampton). Weighs approximately 75Kg. - I have carried it on car roof-bars OK.

I may possibly be able to deliver (after payment is received via PayPal) at a rate of £1/mile radius (up to 50 miles) from Northampton. This depends on me borrowing a friend, his trailer and tow-car, so I cannot guarantee it.

UK bidders with 5+ feedback only.

Must sell, no reserve but a realistic starting price for a usable classic.

Good luck bidding!
As you can see, not much apart from a tired possibly incomplete rig, and a good condition but bare hull for your trouble. This would (this wood) have come with the problem of storage too. If you are going to do the work on a restoration job, (and its unlikely you will find a cheap sunfish that is anything other than that) you are not going to want it sitting on a British beach with the problems of British weather, not to mention British disrespect for other peoples property that exists these days.

The only risk of vandalism or taking and driving of boats that occurs in the Caribbean is when Freddie Flintoff is in town, but I fear a boat like this left on a beach in the UK will be vandalised, burned or used as a latrine in no time. Even Club boat parks are not safe.

This is a reason perhaps why the Beach boat has not caught on in the UK. These boats weigh in at @ 150lbs minimum. There are very few beaches I can think of in the UK with safe, sheltered areas above High tide, that is less than 100m from low tide. East Head in Chichester Harbour, or Portlemouth or Mill Bay in the Salcombe harbour entrance perhaps, and maybe a few others in that area where a Sunfish would certainly come into its own, but even these have not a small distance to haul the boat up above the tide line, and Launch trolleys are pigs to pull on soft sand.

It comes down ultimately to who the boat is for.

A Family that is engaged in sailing I think might (even with limited finance) find this boat a joy, if the use is for cruising in fair weather and picnicking. There are acres of flat decking to sunbathe on, and if the water to be sailed on is sheltered, even a British summer offers an opportunity for it to live up to its design.

Sadly there are no fleets (shoals?) of sunfish racing in the UK which is where it would win out for a more serious sailor. It just hasn't caught on.

As a Hobby boat for Dad in his garage, you are limited by how much you can spend above your budget without being noticed :twisted: If that is your position, then I feel your pain! :roll:

In the words of the Chinese curse, (but without the intent) I hope you find what you are looking for.
Michael Brigg
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Maybe look in France, they are having a national championship so must have a few moribund ones as well.........
RDP

Post by RDP »

Yes, and fleets in Italy as well. I will have to keep my eyes open when next on holiday.
trebor

Post by trebor »

I would have thought, the local council would also vandalise your boat, they would think it had been Fly-tipped.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
stevefirsthome

Post by stevefirsthome »

I'd be persuaded to let mine go for £200, it's at Crawley Mariners, the self bailer isn't complete, I use a Mirror rubber bung, but the rest is ok. It's a lovely fibreglass 1980 boat. I need the dosh to buy a racing jib for my Gull 3
RDP

Post by RDP »

E mail sent.
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

Matt

Int Moth K2992
RDP

Post by RDP »

Wow! That is nice. But not for me. I can't imagine leaving that anywhere except in a nice warm museum.

Intrigued by the Sunfish / Sailfish confusion. Clearly a Sunfish hull but with a Jeckels sail. Definitely not an Alcourt Sailfish sail though. That was something completely different. Was there a time when the Sunfish was available as plans or kits in the UK and Jeckels made non class legal sails for them?

Still seeking the right boat. Glass fibre, essentially complete and in sailable condition. Thought I had found something but that trail has now gone cold.
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

RDP

Post by RDP »

Well, this is getting interesting. Rare as hen's teeth but suddenly we have two ancient sunfish on e bay at once. Hopefully someone out there with a later glass one will be inspired to try their luck as well.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

RDP wrote:Well, this is getting interesting. Rare as hen's teeth but suddenly we have two ancient sunfish on e bay at once. Hopefully someone out there with a later glass one will be inspired to try their luck as well.
Nessa's rooted out another one here!

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6350

Though actually it's Dronskie's one (above) thats been relisted.
Michael Brigg