Baltic Warf, April 9th

Chat about CVRDA events
chris

Baltic Warf, April 9th

Post by chris »

A welcome addition to our callender.
Baltic warf in Bristol is a fascinating place to sail even if we are slightly dwarfed b the SS Great Britain.

CVRDA rally fixture coming up on 9th April 2016
Head of Harbour race 10.30, Race 2 to follow, Combined club and CVRDA
race 3, 14.15.
chris

Re: Baltic Warf, April 9th

Post by chris »

unfortunately we will be away but I do recommend Baltic warf as a great place for a CVRDA day.
Have fun!
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

I'm hoping to go with my Stockholm Sprite, Stuart with his Magnum 8 and I think Ian will bring his Shelley out. That's a decent Moth fleet for entertainment already!
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Anyone else coming to Baltic Wharf on Saturday for the first event of the year or is it going to be just the Moths that have seen the light? I am hoping that a few more will make the effort in spite of the lack of posts declaring an intent, particularly as sailing in the dock is a rather unique sailing experience and the weather forecast doesn't look too daunting.

Regards

Ian
giles

Post by giles »

The Hit and I will be there.
Unfortunately Kate has plans with our daughter or Olwyn the wayfarer would have had its first outing of the season.
See you all on Saturday.
Giles
Pat

Post by Pat »

Sorry we won't be there as the blue Albacore is upside down having a serious repair where an old badly done one has split open.
Anyway as Friday is my last day working in Bristol and driving past Baltic Wharf daily, I think I've seen enough of the place for a while :)
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow - hope you all have fun!
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Would like to say a big thank you to all at baltic warf who made us welcome to day and what an interesting place to sail if not very shifty at times, and also first cvrda outing where I didn't brake anything on the Moth just had problems staying upright
Stuart
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
giles

Post by giles »

Sorry for having to rush off yesterday after racing, relatives coming for tea and I hadn't realised what the time was!!
Thanks to all at Baltic Wharf for another lovely day, it is a shame that not more CVRDA members attended, their loss.
A swarm of Moths, a Hit and a good turnout of club boats made for some good racing. Sailing to the other end of the harbour is a treat for everyone.
Thanks again to all at Baltic Wharf.

It was also lovely to see my fathers old Mirror being raced. The last time I saw it being raced was Ladies Day at Shearwater some 15 - 20 years ago. hank you Rupert.

See you all on the Avon?
Giles
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Thanks to all at Baltic Wharf for an exciting and friendly day's racing.
A pity that more couldn't have made it as there was plenty of wind all the way for the heads of the harbour race, although it did get a bit shifty in the middle section.
A dead run most of the way down the harbour made for a wobbly ride in the Moths, a bit too wobbly for some, but Giles in the Hit was steady as a rock down the centre of the course despite the swarm gybing all around him. The Wayfarer and Solo from BW must have had an interesting ride too, as they were not far behind Giles and I at the leeward mark. A hard beat back up, short tacking into a nasty rain storm suffered from the same tricky section but soon steadied out into a good blast to the finish.
The second race was an intense boat handling test around a fig 8 with a short V windward end. It was quite breezy all round and the added excitement of a few ferries and the Mathew kept us on our toes, or knees in my case sailing the Magnum7 which are still sore today. Ian was getting the hang of my Stockholm Sprite (at least he stayed the right way up this time) and was closing on me toward the end.

With a few more BW boats out for the third race (their club race) and even more wind it was all getting a bit hectic for us Mothies! Giles however was having a great time battling it out with a quick Finn , K1 and an asteroid(?) of Comets. Stuart (Mag8) was sensible enough to sit it out. Ian and I managed one lap before admitting 3mm ply was no match for all the steel and concrete surrounding us and it was only a matter of time before, in that wind, we could be testing the theory. Time for a beer and an excellent meal in The Cottage.

Lyndon
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

I would like to add my thanks to those of Lyndon and Giles to all those at Baltic Wharf who helped run things for us on Saturday. Also a special thank you to Lyndon for bringing an extra boat and being brave enough to let me borrow his beautifully restored Stockholm Sprite. Unfortunately my moths are inadvertently being held captive by her Majesty's Royal Air Force so I wasn't able to bring my own this time.
As Lyndon points out in his post we both thought better of continuing after the first lap of the third race due to the congestion in the confines of the dock combined with the gusty conditions. I certainly didn't want to risk damaging Lyndon's pride and joy and betraying his trust in me to bring her back in one piece! I don't normally wimp out, but in this case
I think that discretion was the better part of valour. I was pleased to have completed the head of the harbour race though, in spite of a couple of brief stops to cool off!
It was a bit of a shame that so few turned up for what turned out to be a very enjoyable days sailing, but I am guessing that some of the "woodies" are not out of hibernation yet. Perhaps the varnish isn't even wet yet due to the interminable damp cold weather?
Maybe see a few more at Severn for a different kind of challenge?

Ian