Leader dinghy

General chat about boats
RDP

Leader dinghy

Post by RDP »

Thinking about buying an easy to sail 14ft dinghy for club racing and occasional use at the seaside. The obvious choice is the GP14 but I have never really liked them so started thinking about alternatives. I would like something with a spinnaker so that excludes the Enterprise. The Wanderer is rather heavy for it's size and they do tend to hold their value so probably wouldn't come easily within my budget. The Leader looks promising but I know very little about them. Has anybody out there ever owned one or sailed one occasionally such that they could offer an opinion?
realnutter

Re: Leader dinghy

Post by realnutter »

I was taught to sail in a Leader... It was roomy enough for 3 twelve year olds and the instructor...

There's a nice looking one on ebay at the moment..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leader-Sailin ... SwUUdXDVOW
Matt

Int Moth K2992
RDP

Post by RDP »

Yes, very nice for such an old boat but I am much more inclined toward fibreglass for this one.
GAv

Post by GAv »

Yes relatives used to have a Leader and they brought it to ASC with permission. We went out in it including my now late Mother who was approaching her ninetees then, a niece ,her hubby, and my Great Nephew but not his sister who wasn't keen.

I started out sailing in a school built Wayfairer,circa 1965/6, on the Norfolk Broads, sailed GP14s out of Grimsby docks69/70 and was reacquainted with Wayfairers doing rescue training and such in the RYA level two 30 years later.

My first boat was a scaled down Wanderer by Anglo Marine, in the form of an Adventurer and found my Great Nephew could practice his sailing in that better as I had progressed to a racing Streaker but the Adventurer was on offer for family and friends to borrow.

Also crewed in both a Wayfairer and Wanderers but think the Leader is one of those often overlooked boats that can provide a fair turn of speed if required.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Lots of GRP leaders around - most were probably GRP composite (Plywood decks).

One of the nicest family dinghies around. Almost as roomy as a wayfarer, sails much better than the similar sized wanderer, and lighter and more responsive to sail than both.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
RDP

Post by RDP »

Thanks for your comments. Just what I was hoping to hear. Now I just need to find one. Preferably a later all glass fibre one.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

RDP wrote:Now I just need to find one.
Try here: http://www.leaderdinghy.org.uk/pre-loved-leaders.htm
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

There's a good condition grp Leader for sale here at Hunts. It's just gone on to EBay, or you can pm me.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World