Old International 14 Dinghy

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Chrisrjwood

Re: Old International 14 Dinghy

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Hi Rupert, I have a Kirby 7 in grp, very well built and still good. The sail number is K1120 I think from around 1980. It has a single trapeze but I know some were modified for twin trapeze and asymmetric kites.

There must be a lot of penultimate grp 14's around. They frequently come up for not much money. Even the early ultimately don't go for much.

But the hull weight was 212lb I think until they almalgamated with the Aussie skiffs (ultimates) so the build may not have changed until then.

I think there was. Kirkby 7 advertised on the forum recently, Chris B put up a note?

Spiderman may know more...

Chris
Chrisrjwood
Jollyboat J325 Serendipity
Rouse I14 'Brown Trousers' K1094
Kirby 7 I14 Last Chance K1120
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Uffa Fox I14 Nymph K524 (under restoration)
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rupert wrote:
Charlie is now a hulking 16 year old and we are thinking of a trapeze doublehander. Anyone know what vintage of 14 GRP became common? I remember a GRP Kirby design sailing at Tamesis in the early 80s, but everything else was wood.
Now - Charlie is the perfect size for trapezing a fireball, and you are the perfect size to helm one... but if you want something more cvrda, then hornet or cherub? The i14's probably all need more all up weight then the two of you?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Probably! But I have a soft spot for them.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Ive got a hornet or two you can borrow Rupert.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Pat

Post by Pat »

Another option Rupert would be to bring a Pegasus back to life. Where's the Blast from the Past these days?
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Why look for another option?

Reckon you were right on the ball to start with.

A Classic or penultimate 14 would be just perfect for you and Charlie. You might be under weight for a hoolie on the sea, but when did the CVRDA last go out in those conditions (more's the pity). You would do just fine. It would be perfect for you both.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

The change to twin trapeze (but conventional, symmetric spinnaker) is date 1984. There are some very nice boats around from there - though some got retro-fitted with the asymmetric kite at the end of the decade.

They certainly encourage the classic, twin wire/conventional spinnaker 14s at Bosham.

D
David H
Rod

Post by Rod »

Ian Bruce was building 14's over in North America out of foam core in the late 60's. His knowledge of foam core construction for dinghies allowed him to slap a foam core deck on the Laser.

We were experimenting with double trapezes on the old style 14's (Kirby III's, IV's, V's, Souter Casson's, even the old Proctor 6's) in the mid to late 1970's. The loads are mostly trying to force the mast through the bottom of the boat and most older 14's were amply constructed where the mast butt attaches to the boat.

Masts were another issue, not so much the sections but rig tension. Our old looser rig tensions saw the windward shroud go slack when two-wiring (which meant the leeward spreader was now taking the bending moment of the mast!). If I remember the LA fleet, which was promoting the two-wire conversion, did a fleet mast rebuild where they added diamonds so that mast compression could be controlled without relying on rig tension/spreaders.

The English 14 scene was very much a woodie class until the K VII came along and there were some very decent English glass K VII's built. As others have mentioned in this thread, I would start with the K VII and others of this vintage (Benedict, Howlett, Cross III are some other designs from that era that come to mind).

RLM
Rod M
Annapolis MD USA

http://www.earwigoagin.blogspot.com
http://cbifda.blogspot.com/

Classic Moth: 105
PK Dinghy
chris

Post by chris »

I know of a morrison Mk1 looking for a home. It needs some work but is free to the right person.
chris

Post by chris »

14_1441.jpg
This is the above 14, Flutter no. 1034 built 1974
Rod

Post by Rod »

Received an email last week that Tom Vaughan, International 14 class stalwart and preeminent class historian, had died, age 92. I've never met him but was glad he put together his little 14 history book, meticulously researched, with plenty of photos. I refer to that little book often.

Rod
Rod M
Annapolis MD USA

http://www.earwigoagin.blogspot.com
http://cbifda.blogspot.com/

Classic Moth: 105
PK Dinghy