Any new deals for 3rd Party only dinghy insurance?

share hints, tips and experiences
Ed
Site Admin

Any new deals for 3rd Party only dinghy insurance?

Post by Ed »

For ages I have used the Bishop Skinner 3rd Party insurance, which has been great,

But recently tried to insure the Firefly and found that they had doubled the price and there was tons of extra stipulations, like must be professionally built etc that rather put me off, but did go for it. Of course, they also didn't like the age, or the fact it was wood etc....

I havn't decided whether to sail the Jollyboat this w/end, but if I do, I need to insure it.

So wondered if anybody had any other ideas for either 3rd partly only insurance....or temporary event insurance. I know that someone had managed to organised just a week's cover before, but don't know how or through what brokers.

Who do you insure your old Merlins/14s with Chris?

Otherwise insuring the Jollyboat, being wood, built 53 or 54 with trapeze etc, just throws them into a total flat spin.

I have once or twice had someone who went, Oh, yes, I can do that, and come back with a very good price, till I point out that it isn't a Laurent Giles Jollyboat.....but a Fairey one....and there is just a tweensy-meansy difference.

Anyway. Any ideas?
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
sam mason

Re: Any new deals for 3rd Party only dinghy insurance?

Post by sam mason »

I insure my "club race" Albacore 3rd party only with Noble £32 pa.
sam
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

'Insurance4dinghies.com' which is part of Towergate seem happy with the craft of yesteryear...having said that I've never made a claim nor have I had to provide proof of value so who knows.......

MR 950, value £750 (inc trolley), excess £75, third party liability £3m., 'Gold' cover, ie racing anywhere, not just your local club. Premium £42.46.

Towergate are big, underwritten by Royal and Sun Alliance etc.

No connection etc, hate insurance, can't be bothered etc etc
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Graham L

Post by Graham L »

I insure my boats through Bishop Skinner Marine on a multi-boat policy. I have always found them very helpful.

All my boats are wood and comprehensively insured with no problem.

Call 01245 291167

Graham

Flying Fifteen 617,1155
Albacore 5893, 5894
Firefly 2380
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

@Michael4 yup, Towergate gave me my best quote so far. £44.81 with value of £1200, but can't remember whether that was silver or gold cover. Not likely to tow it anywhere at moment unfortunately.

@GrahamL I have had up to 3 boats insured with Bishop Skinner, but they have never offered me a group policy.

I must look into this a bit more, although with two boats already insured with them, I am not sure whether they will extend it to cover one more. Especially as one (or maybe both) are on 3rd party only.

We really should try and find an underwriter who would come up with a policy for classic wood dinghies. Plenty for bigger boats...

another project, another year.

Best

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

I imagine the insurers are probably all within £10-£15 of each other for the same cover.

...and then there is the issue of 'agreed value' or whatever it is called. In the classic car world you have to send pics of the car to the insurer plus a valuation by someone relevant in order to agree a value.

For a dinghy, no one has ever asked me for anything. Larger boats often require a survey to agree value if over a certain age. Has anyone come unstuck on this with dinghies?
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Lots (LOTS) more difference than 10-15 quid, but as you say it depends on the cover I guess. But it is very hard to assess that, due to the 'new for old' element of some insurance, which is good I guess....if that is what you want, but not me. I just want to make sure if I hit a new D-zero or whatever (and I would go straight through it with the Jollyboat), that I am covered.

But some insurers just get silly:

Me: Can I insure my 1949 Int 14.

Them: That will be 3 squillion quid sir

Me: Gosh, why so much.

Them: Risk on a carbon mast is very high sir

Me: but....but.....mine hasn't got a carbon mast, and not many did in 1949.

Them: Yes, but we work out the risk by the class Sir, and you have a Int14 and that costs 3.5 squillion quid sir because the Int 14 has a carbon mast.

Me: OK, I will try someone else

I won't say who that was with.....but lets just say...one of the big companies.

But yes, I have also taken out Classic Yacht insurance at agreed price. Worked well until they demanded a full survey by one of their registered surveyors. I asked how much that was, and they said the minimum price was £350 or so. Went off that quickly.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Try GJW.
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

https://www.eandl.co.uk/

insured the Finn monthly with them.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]