Down to one boat......

General chat about boats
Rupert

Re: Down to one boat......

Post by Rupert »

Are the daughter's other ideas connected with not getting cold and wet in the winter?
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

She is rather amused at the possibility of having her own boat. Not that I would ever get her out to sail it without a lot of shouting and arm twisting....And I would lose my (sullen and uncooperative) crew....

And I would rather have a Solo than a Laser.........Its probably has the ideal PY for the lake..

Cheers

Steve
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I really "ought" to like the Solo. But, even having sailed a brand new one, old classics and old dogs, I just don't get on with it.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert wrote:I really "ought" to like the Solo. But, even having sailed a brand new one, old classics and old dogs, I just don't get on with it.
Nope I couldn't get on with it either. Mind you I don't seem to b able to get on with any single handers. Maybe I`m just a sociable guy.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Stephen Hawkins

Roger, I am a social sailor as well. I much prefer to sail double handed. In fact I would go as far as to say, rather than buying a single hander, I would be looking at finding a regular crew for my double hander. Its just getting them, and I, to commit to regular enough sailing to learn to sail the boat it is well enough not to disgrace ourselves.

Although this is the CVRDA and I am a 'Clinker fancier' and not averse to Carvel, what I actually need is a low maintenance winter 'knock around' boat. Something that I could keep outside, use for training (myself and whoever else), with a symmetrical spinnaker which was roomy enough to take a couple of 'chaps' without sitting on each others laps, but could be sailed by me and a light weight....Something has caught my eye......Fibre glass, 14ft and symmetrical spinnaker and possible old enough to count in the CVRDA, a lineage that has great pedigree...Can you guess what it is yet?

There is a boat of this class on the bay of fleas, which is local to me, that I might just keep an eye on.

International 14s will have to remain something to 'aspire to' and dream about.

Steve
Steve Hawkins

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There is a Kestrel in Abingdon, but that is bigger?
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

It is the Kestrel I was looking at. Well done Rupert.

It is bigger, but comes with some cut down sails.

Of course I have not viewed it yet.

But I am curious enough to enquire if it has a cover....
Steve Hawkins

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There is a Tempo scow on Apollo Duck right now. Wood, but certainly a different approach!
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Possibly too skiffy for me. There is nowhere for me to sit in it. I have to take my stomach into account as well.

Steve
Steve Hawkins

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Scowy, rather than skiff, but know what you mean!
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

So as I understand the Kestrel was designed by Ian Proctor in approx 1955, as a boat designed for production from the outset in fibreglass, although some early ones we made in wood.

I happened to mention this to my brother and he had actually sailed one on occasion out in Cyprus, whilst in the RAF. He was of the opinion that they were only sailed by experts, two blokes of a decent weight and he seemed to recall they were still a handful. But he may have been a bit wary of them at the time.

From what I gather it would seem that we probably have a '15ft, plastic, slim Merlin' of a hull profile probably similar to a mkVI and a tall mast, since it was designed in that era. So I am going to have to have another think. Although the class site seems to think they make good cruising boats as well as racers, so I might be okay.

The boat in Abingdon does not have cover, so it's the first expense, although I won't need the old combo trailer, so might get some money back........

Ho hum,

Steve
Steve Hawkins

Pat

Post by Pat »

We borrowed Nessa's Kestrel once and found it quite narrow and less stable and needed far more hiking than our Lark or 1960's Merlin. How about a Firefly for single or double handing? Or even a Lark though that isn't generally a single hander but it has been done.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
ent228

Post by ent228 »

I think that the idea of using a double handed boat for single handing could be explored more. The lark would be good, you could take the jib off, rake the plate back a bit and as long as you could get the rig tension to put a bit of pre bend in the mast it would it would go fine. I used to sail my Enterprise like that, it was a bit like using a fat Solo.A nice controllable ride though and if I could find a crew that was a bonus.

I use a laser 2 like that at the moment. I know it's not suitable in this case, however in an F3 and above I put the jib up to provide rig tension and then roll it around the forestry and secure with a bit of tape. Works fine from the trapeze and it's got a dagger board! I never expected it to work so well.

I expect that there are many other boats that will respond in the same way. Wasn't there a picture of a very early Fireball being sailed single handed? Did it have a sliding seat?
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I found my Lark was fine as a single handed racing boat and also for cruising even in quite strong winds, I did have some reeling points put in the main though.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Post by roger »

The ideal boat is a Hornet, extra long tiller and you can sail single handed from the sliding seat, plenty of room for a crew and symmetric spinnaker. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Funnily enough I have one which with a "bit" of winter maintenance will be the perfect steed.

Seriously though, I used to single hand my GP a lot, a small jib for the windier days and my dad used a set of Gull sails on it to take the grandchildren out (effectively single handing).
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353