Camping on the Dart

General chat about boats
jules22

Camping on the Dart

Post by jules22 »

I help to run our clubs junior section, the kids mainly sail GRP cadets with a couple of old wooden one's. :wink:

As a change from the usual "away" one day race fixtures, it is proposed that we have a weekend away next year sailing and camping. :D

One of the ideas kicking about is the river dart as it would offer sheltered sailing above ditisham if needed (and a good pub !).

I have sailed there before, albeit some time ago, have a chart and know about blackness for launching and trailer storage .

I have no idea where to camp !, can anyone advise please ?.

Cheers. J
Pat

Re: Camping on the Dart

Post by Pat »

The only one I know there is Galmpton, on the Greenaway road that goes down to the Dart opposite Dittisham.
http://www.galmptontouringpark.co.uk/

West Wilts Youth go to Roadford lake for their away weekends - large and with on-site camping - and this year there was a cvrda event at the same time.
http://www.outdoorandactive.uk.com/loca ... ford-lake/

However I can also recommend Fowey in Cornwall as the Penmarlam campsite at Bodinnick has its own launching into the creek which is safely accessed without going onto a road. It used to be a private farm then they sold out to the harbour commissioners. Haven't been for a long time (pre divorce) but we used to cruise up river to the pub or down to Fowey town, to Polruan or the sea.
Also lovely walks including a circular along the valley top through the woods to Polruan, take the passenger ferry across and walk up through Fowey town then take the main ferry back to Bodinnick. Or as we did, walk to Polruan and meet our own fishing boat and motor back.
http://www.penmarlampark.co.uk/
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
jules22

Post by jules22 »

Thanks Pat, that's really helpful. :D
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Stoke Gabriel is surrounded by campsites. Higher Well is about 10mins walk from Quay. Stoke Gabriel Boating Association have a new club house, showers etc and boat storage. An arrangement could be made depending on when you wanted to come. Launching from the Mill point at any stage of the tide. If you come try and arrange it during neap tides.
jules22

Post by jules22 »

A chance conversation today at the club with the Grandfather of one of our juniors: He has a very old friend who is a member of stoke gabriel boating and lives nearby.

He is going to sound him out as to if they could offer any help, possibly a reciprocal arrangement if they are interested in a weekend away up here. :?:

Small world............ Thanks for reply, might see you on the water if it happens, as I would bring a boat. :)
jules22

Post by jules22 »

Thanks for all the sugestions and help, Tides are not kind during halfterm so we are going to Roadford now !. ( as its juniors, HAS to be halfterm :wink: )

So a few of questions about Roadford:

1. We are booking camping through Sw lakes, do we need to become temp members of the sailing club to launch/sail ?.

2. Any recomendations for a decent pub close by ?, for a pint and meal in the evening.

3. One of the parents wants to bring his old flying 15, will he be able to launch it ?.

Any other relevent info much appriecated, thanks people. :D

Cheers. J
chris

Post by chris »

It is SW Lakes that own the water and they will charge you a launching fee. You might be able to get a group price on that. The sailing club is seperate but it would be good to talk to them incase they have an event on at the same time. though the water is plenty big enough. Several members from the club are on this forum such as Allan Williams so talk or pm him.

There are two pubs but both a short drive away. One at Ashwater (NW of lake) and Bratton Covelly to the East. Not large but good food - worth booking either of them first.

There are several FF15s at Roadford so there should not be a problem unless the water is very low perhaps.

There are other activities as well as sailing available.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Jules, send me your email and I'll forward it on to Chris Mulholland who organises the West Wilts Youth trips to Roadford - he's also a Roadford regular.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)