TacTick Compass

General chat about boats
alan williams

TacTick Compass

Post by alan williams »

Has anyone successfully replaced the Battery? Is there accompany willing to do this?
Cheers Al
phil58490

Re: TacTick Compass

Post by phil58490 »

I found this company whilst trawling Finn sites and gives reasonably clear instructions on how it is done. I have not needed to try it out but if you are feeling brave....

http://www.vanaheim.co.nz/compass.htm

Good luck!
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Thanks Phil
The compass is dead so it's worth a try before having to shell out for a new one.
Regards Alan
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Battery was easy to obtain £5 .60 from Amazon so I'm going to give it ago. May save £260 if it works .
Al
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I have looked into this before.

I think one of the issues can be that if you change the system battery you can end up buggering the codes (a bit like when you have a pre-ste radio channel and change the car battery. There is a special technique to either keep it all connected up to voltage (ie Connct the new battery before you disconnect the old one) or alternatively a secret sequence of button pressing that will wake the thing up again. A bit like crash landing on a comet!
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Michael
The New Zealand guys appear to have cracked that. Will let you know if it works. It maybe my soldering skills that really kill the thing.
Al
Last edited by alan williams on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mole

Post by mole »

consider using conductive adhesive if you think the soldering might ruin the batteries. Or give them to Samsung, they know a few things about overheating batteries!
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Easy job.
Hardest bit was opening the compass. Mine was one of the later ones and after the battery was installed reset its self. I had to change the battery tags and re-solder the old ones back on. As the type they specify is no longer made with those contacts, not hard to do and for the price of £5.60, saved over £244 for a new one.
Cheers Al Finn 774
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

That sounds like a great result, I hope I never have the need to do it but it is good to know it can be done.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Must correct my previous post I thought the Compass had recalibrated its self. Found out that this was not the case. Went back to the NZ instructions to calibrate now working perfectly. Result.
Alan