ent 2426 hog & keel

share hints, tips and experiences
Yer tiz

ent 2426 hog & keel

Post by Yer tiz »

Hello I am restoring a 1958 ent and are currently replacing the hog and keel, my question; is mahogany the best timber to use or is there something similar but stronger/lighter? Many thanks.

Plus is there a maximum width for these two elements?
sam mason

Re: ent 2426 hog & keel

Post by sam mason »

Measure the ones you take out and go back at the same size or nothing will fit properly. The hog has a taper in it and it is important you get it in the right place. The keel measurements are covered by the rules available from the Enterprise Association or on the measurement form if it is on line.

Timber. With a boat that age weight saving should not be a major consideration. Most of the weight in Ents is down to the choice of ply used in the original build so no really significant saving can be made. If you cant get decent mahogany without selling the house Douglas Fir AKA Columbian Pine is durable , about the same density as Brazilian Mahogany, and readily available. African Cedar looks like mahogany but weighs very little. It smells nice too! Available in trade quantities from Sykes Timber at Atherstone. 1 cu ft should about do the job (24ft of 6x1 or thereabouts)
Good luck
Sam
Yer tiz

Post by Yer tiz »

Thanks for your quick response. I was just checking, as the width of my ent' s hog measures around 11cm. I did a quick survey of ent's in our clubs dinghy park and the widest was 13cm most being 12 cm's. I have mailed the tech person from the ent association for his advice.

Sound like the cedar could be a good option.

Many thanks
Yer tiz

Post by Yer tiz »

speaking with my local timber merchant he is suggesting Sapele as a mahogany replacement, I would welcome any thoughts on using this for the hog & keel replacement.

many thanks in advance
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Looks nice BUT weighs tons , hard as hell, difficult to work, complex grain making planning up more difficult than it should be and doesn't always take glue as well as it might and the good stuff if horrifically expensive. Utile is only slightly better but always takes the glue
Do bare in mind that if you buy rough sawn timber you will have quite a high waste ratio.
Sam
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Khaya is also a subsitute. The darker than is the more for resistant. Also prone to tear out, but not to the same extent. Won't be light, though.

The sustainability of all these woods worries me, though. Iroko, for instance, can be 500 years old.
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Would a laminated marine ply hog be stronger and more durable, and less heavy?

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

I have never heard of that being done. An Enterprise hog is in the order of 12 feet long . Ply is 8 feet therefore would need to be scarfed at some point and would leave a lot of exposed end grain. I certainly wouldn't even consider it
Sam