Plywood Sealant Tape?

share hints, tips and experiences
cvangrutten

Plywood Sealant Tape?

Post by cvangrutten »

Recently began work on a project International Moth. So far just stripping back all the paintwork. Many of the plywood seams have been previously taped with some fibrous tape which seems to have done a great job over the years but unfortunately has had to be removed... Basically I'm looking for any tips on where I can buy some, as searches online have turned up nothing so far.
STEVEB

Re: Plywood Sealant Tape?

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
Plenty on ebay, what length and width do you need?
Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Without looking or seeing photos it's difficult to be sure but the most likely tape on an old dinghy could be glass fibre tape with polyester resin. If the wood has got damp it's often quite easy to pull this off. It's also quite easy to redo, once the hull has been dried out well.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Hi and welcome to the forum, and indeed the classic moth fleet. Great to hear of another one being saved!

I think the tape you are looking for is fibreglass tape which is widely available as Steve says. as an example.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fibreglass-Op ... weBLd7DUUA

The use of lots of taped seams gives a bit of a clue to the age and design of your moth. I am guessing 1970s? Please tell us more about it and post some pictures.
Just one thought, I would be cautious about removing too much of the tape in one go. It may be the only thing holding the boat together!

Cheers

Lyndon
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

If it was me, I would invest in epoxy rather than polyester. It will at least stay on...

2 in glass tape is most probably best. Something with an openish weave like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50mm-Fibregla ... e3dlA08-CQ

Then to keep your sanding to a minimum, especially if you are using epoxy, put a peelply over the top like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEEL-PLY-1m-x ... SwgQ9Vjtd1

Tell us more about the Moth and maybe we can help more

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
cvangrutten

Post by cvangrutten »

Didn't search well enough, clearly! Encouraged to hear so many people have an idea of what I need though. Really grateful for all the tips, thank you. Epoxy is something we're considering however seeing as the tape did such a great job until now and is relatively inexpensive keen to stick to that. Keeping the boat afloat however is obviously a main objective!

A bit about the boat: sail number K3683, Womble build but no idea what year, late 70s is the best we could do. Previously sailed in the Helford river, but (pending refurbishment) will be sailed in St Mawes. Only had an opportunity to sail her once but, despite some fairly serious leaking, very encouraged by the state she's in. Looking forward to getting her back on the water.
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

A Womble! brilliant, that was certainly one of the designs i thought would be using a fair bit of fibreglass tape. From the sail number K3683, it would have been built 1977-1978. Was this the Womble that was advertised for sale sometime last year? Pleased it found a good home.

You will find plenty of Womble photos in the IMCA UK yearbooks which logged the events and developments of the class through those years. If you've not already found them on the IMCA website, they are also available on http://international-moth-archive.org/. Nels started this archive with a set of Womble plans, so you will find some interesting material there. You might also be interested in a certain Stockholm Sprite restoration that is of similar construction :wink:

As Ed has already suggested, I too would recommend using an epoxy resin (such as SP) when you replace the tape. Its possible that the original tape and resin has survived all this time, but thats quite unusual for a moth hull with thin flexible ply and lots of stress. Polyester resin (ordinary fibreglass resin) can be rather brittle and doesn't have the adhesion or strength of epoxy, which partly explains why there are so many Magnum moths surviving, but very few earlier designs.

Looking forward to seeing you and your Womble at some CVRDA events this season

Cheers

Lyndon
cvangrutten

Post by cvangrutten »

May well have been the same Moth advertised. Had already found the IMCA collection, lots of interesting material, enjoyed looking through the yearbooks.
Unfortunately having problem uploading photos of the hull, but will keep trying.
Thanks for the advice regarding epoxy vs tape, sounds like epoxy is the better option.
Very useful to know I can turn to the forum for any advice on the (very much ongoing) project.
Cheers
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

The question isn't epoxy vs tape, but epoxy vs polyester. Either way, you will need the tape. However, as I said, if you decide to use epoxy, then investing in some peelply tape as well would be a good investment.

BW

EIB
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it