Ent 2426 fixings

share hints, tips and experiences
Yer tiz

Ent 2426 fixings

Post by Yer tiz »

1959 enterprise restoration- Having now cut out the replacement hog, keel and bottom floor and whilst waiting for warmer gluing weather, I have been researching fixings for the replacement timber. The ply sections I have removed (2 each side) had some 100+ brass screws holding them down. I did think as using expoy glue I might reduced the number of screws plus use stainless pozi head screws, using battery screwdriver. However, the reading I have done suggests stainless in timber which gets wet is a bad idea. So back to brass. Questions- can you get pozi drive brass screws? Would there be a higher risk of shearing using a batt screwdriver? Are there any other cost effective screw types ? ( I have seen brass coated?) your thoughts and experience most welcome.
Rupert

Re: Ent 2426 fixings

Post by Rupert »

Stainless might not be good in a boat kept afloat all the time, but is fine in a dinghy. Much better than brass, though I've used them at times, just to make it hell for the next restorer...
Just buy from a non-marine source and save a few pennies. Probably worth ensuring they are the higher quality ones, but even lesser quality better than brass. Brass plated will corrode in very short order.
Rupert