UCP shelf life

share hints, tips and experiences
neil
Site Admin

UCP shelf life

Post by neil »

Currently have the £100 Phantom in the workshop, stripping it down ready for new varnish on the decks. New workshop is a bit of a luxury as it's an extra large double garage that's part of the house and the temperature in there is consistently 13 degrees at night (no drafts, no damp, no mice, no rats, kettle 10' feet away, wif-fi signal etc). Means I can finally use the likes of Epiphanes and don't have wait until the Spring to do any bonding/filleting etc.

So, I'm pondering the varnishing for the Phantom (planned for possibly next weekend after all the old varnish is stripped off and I've brought the decks back to life). When I moved last year I came across a couple of tins of UCP in the large but old pile of spares and stuff that might come in handy one day so I brought them with me. These must be at least 5 years old. They are still liquid, so I was wondering does anyone have any experience of old stockUCP? My gut tells me it's a load of chemicals that are still sealed and to just use it, but if you've used old stock and have had problems let me know.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
chrismartin3583

Re: UCP shelf life

Post by chrismartin3583 »

if its liquid it'll be fine. may need thinning.
Ed
Site Admin

Re: UCP shelf life

Post by Ed »

I would agree.

You may find it goes off quicker once you open it.

I do think you are lucky, first because I had an old can of unopened UCP, waiting for the perfect job.... and when I opened them, they were totally set hard and perfectly clear like a lump of perspex.

Second you are lucky as there can't be that many cans left and it is, as we know, the dukznutz!

looking forwards to seeing the Phantom and you out sailing again.

eib

ps RLSC lives to fight another day!
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it