Proctotr mast section identification / Fireball mast heel

share hints, tips and experiences
windwatcher

Proctotr mast section identification / Fireball mast heel

Post by windwatcher »

How to tell what section a proctor mast is ?

A Fireball has a missing mast heel. I'm not sure what section the proctor mast is - I assume it's most likely to be a D. Its silvery in colour, quite flexible, has a tapered top, and has that classic pear-shaped cross section, so that means it definitely isn't a beta etc. The boat is late 1970s.

I assume that the mast section is common across all classes, i.e. a Wayfarer with a proctor D is presumably the same as a Fireball with a D, just the length will be different I assume ? Of course for the heel its only the cross-section that matters. How can one tell what section the mast is ?

I have put a post on the "wanted" discussion forum to as well.

Thanks

Nick
JimC

Re: Proctotr mast section identification / Fireball mast hee

Post by JimC »

TheGuvnah

Post by TheGuvnah »

Nice info Jim, I needed that without even knowing I needed it, much obliged.
...well if it was easy everybody would have one.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Now, I am not a Fireball sailor and never have been one....

but something in the back of my head suggests that for a while there was a class rule that somehow limited the construction of an aluminium mast used.

It couldn't be under a certain weight....or had to balance in the middle or something like that, which lead to Proctor D's having a weight inserted in the very top?? Anybody remember anything about this. May be totally my imagination.

Not that it will make any big difference as I am sure the rule was removed/changed years ago.

In general I think a Proctor D....on one boat will be much like one from another class, although of course the position of stays, halyards etc will be different.

I did have an old Fireball mast.....might still be in my pile of masts in the field....

Best wishes

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it