Should I or Should'nt I ?

General chat about boats
Rich

Post by Rich »

Hi All,
I was planning on coming along to to spectate at the Baltic Wharf event, but was also toying with the idea of bringing my boat. However I am a little retiscent as I would only consider myself a novice\improver and would be unlikely to be able to sail to the same standard as most of the other participants. Having not previously attended a CVRDA event I was wondering if you would be prepared to tolerate my ineptitude? I would obviously start from the back and try to keep out of everybodys way.

Also having never been to Baltic Wharf and not knowing Bristol, I was wondering whether anyone else was likely to be heading west down the M4 and would be prepared to meet up at a motorway services so I could follow them to the venue.

Rich
Rich
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Rich,
If ineptitude wasn't tolerated, there would be no cvrda...
There are sailors of all standards coming to the event, so you won't find yourself alone which ever part of the fleet you are in. Infact, you might surprise yourself! There will be plenty of people around to give you any help you'd like, too.
I'll be towing a Solo from J16 (Wootton Bassett) to Bristol, and can generally find my way without getting too lost. If you would like to meet up, you'd be welcome. I aim to get to Bristol by 9.30 with a bit of an ish, so would be leaving here at about 8.30. I'd be happy to meet you at Leigh Delamere services (west bound!) at about 8.45? Knackered maroon Citroen ZX estate with equally knackered blue Solo behind. difficult to miss!
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich</i>
I was wondering if you would be prepared to tolerate my ineptitude? I would obviously start from the back and try to keep out of everybodys way.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The first time I went to the Frensham event with my Vintage Cherub, which is pretty much without doubt the most unsuitable boat for the venue that would actually fit through the gates, although I was sailing with my regular helmsman it was the first time we had ever stepped in that boat together, the first time he had sailed a Cherub with a pole kite, and the first time I had actually sailed with a pole kite at all for some 12 years. The next time was the first time the boat had been out since, the helm was a lad from Frensham who I had never met, and who'd never sailed a boat remotely similar, and it was the only time I' sailed with a pole kite since the previous event.

Or to put it another way - don't worry! I don't really go to he events to race so much as cruise round in company...
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rich,

just to echo Jim's comments - I too am still a CVRDA virgin - the event next week will be my first outing. Worse, it seems that I'll be launching a boat that hasn't floated (apart from being towed back from the Isle of Wight) for yonks, may not even float, is one that that I've only ever sailed 30 years ago in zero wind , that probably is not a good boat to sail at Baltic Wharf AND has big pink numbers on the sail! So come along, you be in great company!! At least you'll not have people taking the P*ss out of you all day, unlike some!

I'm busy working on excuses NOT to sail...boat doesn't fit trailor, isn't ready, I'm not ready....etc etc - but Alan would never forgive me so, "it has to be done"

See you there

D
David H
Rich

Post by Rich »

Thanks for the replies and hope to see you all at Baltic Wharf. Rupert, I'd like to take you up on your offer if it's OK with you. I'll drop you an email to arrange the details.

Cheers
Rich
Rich
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sounds good.
Rupert