In search of International 14 618 'Zephyr' and also 'Tiercel

an area to discuss dinghy developments
slimtim

In search of International 14 618 'Zephyr' and also 'Tiercel

Post by slimtim »

Hello

I am looking for any information about my grandfather's (David Harries) International 14 which was sail number 618 and called Zephyr.

She was sailed at Upper Thames and was apparently last seen on the Norfolk coast 10 or 20 years ago. That's all I have to go on but would be interested to hear if anyone has knowledge of this boat.

Also, does anyone know the whereabouts of International 14 Tiercel (I don't have the sail number) which was owned by the Commodore (Scott Freeman) at Upper Thames. Apparently a sister boat to 'Thunder and Lightning' and a very special boat.

Thanks in advance, Tim
JimC

Re: In search of International 14 618 'Zephyr' and also 'Tie

Post by JimC »

363 Tiercel has been active recently eg http://www.utsc.org.uk/assets/files/res ... reeman.htm
slimtim

Post by slimtim »

Yes, I saw that from 2012. It's encouraging and when we visit UTSC for the vintage Merlin Open in September we hope to see her. I'll be sailing that event with my mother who raced at UT in the 50's and 60's in 14s both as a helm and crew.
chris

Post by chris »

We sailed against Tiercel at Rickmansworth Vintage 14 event in May this year. She was going very well indeed until her mast split by the last race.
Apparently she has a little less freeboard than Thunder and Lightning to make even more suitable for the river.
The Upper Thames vintage 14 fleet seem to have become defunct a few years ago now.
Chris, int14 483

The 14 book still lists D Harries as the last known owner.
slimtim

Post by slimtim »

Thanks for the feedback.

My grandfather was quite a character and relatively well-known on the Thames both in the sailing and rowing communities.

Apparently Zephyr was one of the early moulded ply 14s and so a bit weighty, an issue that he tried to offset by buying the latest kit as great cost much to the consternation of the family (that gene may still be present.....).

I suspect that she has met her maker some while ago but it's good to see that David Harries still gets a mention as she was his pride and joy!