Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

General chat about boats
Aquarius

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by Aquarius »

Can anyone identify these two early Fourteens?

Neither was in the catalogue when I last looked, a few minutes ago. Both are lug rigged with bamboo spars, and are single skin carvel planked...

CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"
chris

Post by chris »

The bottom one with the white bottom is NSBR no. 3115. It was on loan from Beaulieu apparently, Morgan Giles.
Aquarius

Post by Aquarius »

chris wrote:The bottom one with the white bottom is NSBR no. 3115. It was on loan from Beaulieu apparently, Morgan Giles.
Hope Beaulieu make that known in time! If she is Giles then the green one is for sure.
CVRDA eligible:
Not CVRDA eligible:
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Can't be sure...my memory isn't what it used to be...but they certainly look familiar...

AT had an early I14ft, with a bamboo mast and lug rigged very early on in his collecting days. Just after he sold the Fairey collection to MDL. I remember sailing it at BSASC in mid-late 90s. Rupert might remember a bit more about it. He had just bought it then.

But my memory was that it was originally built in the 1920s as a 14ft one design....from the broads....or even maybe from Ireland and then sailed as an early I14 or maybe just that it measured as a I14.

It was fun to sail on the river at Saltford, but the rig was a challenge. It had real cotton twisted sheets that ran in wooden blocks. Well I say 'run', but in fact they did nothing of the sort, which made it interesting in the little gusts.

Could be.....certainly looks like how I remember the boat.

Best wishes

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

Some of the descriptions of the lots raise a smile.
One of the lots you can buy two ship's captains....strangely these men are in the shape of capstans.
Another near the end is a planing machine with a bed that measures 24feet by 70feet. You would need a very large workshop for that one.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

The boat Ed is referring to is in the auction, Ben Her L85, lot 638. I also remember AT telling me it was a broads boat that had been incorporated into the I14 class.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

They've update some of the info and pictures for some lots , there's a little more info on k88 and much better pictures
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

The only boats I would be remotely interested in would be Seabeat designed by Ray Rouse and Hornet 17. However Seonaidh says NO.
Cheers Alan
Aquarius

Post by Aquarius »

As of this morning some bids are shown as having met the reserve on the lots concerned. There does not seem to be a whole lot of logic to it, though.
CVRDA eligible:
Not CVRDA eligible:
Escadron

Post by Escadron »

I don't view myself as the ideal guardian for a vintage International 14, as I'm rather too old, but I would hate to see any lost. Having at one time owned a wooden national 18 for twenty years I understand the maintenance issues that come with an old wooden boat, and taking on an Uffa Fox 14 would be a considerable responsibility..

It seems rather worrying that most of the 14's have not yet attracted bids, and I wonder if anyone has a view on the likelihood of them finding good homes.
suffolkmerlin

Post by suffolkmerlin »

Is anyone going to Eyemouth to view? If so could they report on the condition of E1 which appears to have suffered since it was displayed at Ally Pally, I must admit a bid of £400 doesn't meet the reserve. What will happen to the boats that don't meet the reserve? Will they be re-offered to the highest bidder?
chris

Post by chris »

I noticed from their other past auctions page that they knock an almost insignicant amount off the reserves and then there's a button you can click which says "met the reserve or make an offer". So there may be a second chance for the boats to find a home. But what about the ones that will attract no bids at all?

I also notice that the majority of lots that now meet the reserves are just the bits and pieces not the boats. I wonder if they are using an insurance value for the reserves on the boats which will be hugely different from a sale price of course. Considering many were donated and some were sold to the collection for £1 (as mentioned in the NSBR) then a suggested selling price could be somewhere between £0 and £1. My ribbed 14 was indeed free to a good home!
Aquarius

Post by Aquarius »

I was wondering why the reserves had been reduced on three big boats in good condition and on a lot of museum exhibits and books and equipment.

The penny dropped - the items on which the reserves have been lowered are all in the main (Fishmarket) building and the terms of sale require them to be removed promptly- there must be a buyer or an incoming tenant for that building so they need to clear it, whilst the other boats are in less desirable locations...

The other boats which fail to meet reserves will presumably be treated as "unsold lots".
Last edited by Aquarius on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CVRDA eligible:
Not CVRDA eligible:
Escadron

Post by Escadron »

Unfortunately I am unable to go to Lowestoft for the viewing tomorrow, and if anyone is able to attend I would be very grateful if they would have a look at Zeus, K500 and Encore, K847. I am also interested in Fleur de Lys, K715 and Buttock Up K780.

There seems to be some confusion over "Imp", possibly because there were two 14"s with the same name. K202 was a Morgan Giles boat built in 1908, and she appears to be the lower of the two boats shown in a photograph on this forum. She is the boat that was in the Bealieu Maritime Museum. K170 was an Uffa Fox boat, built in 1929, and she might possibly be the upper of the two boats shown in the photograph, based on the evidence of the photographs on the NSBR. although the construction of the bows seems wrong for a Fox boat.
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Escadron wrote:Unfortunately I am unable to go to Lowestoft for the viewing tomorrow, and if anyone is able to attend I would be very grateful if they would have a look at Zeus, K500 and Encore, K847. I am also interested in Fleur de Lys, K715 and Buttock Up K780.

There seems to be some confusion over "Imp", possibly because there were two 14"s with the same name. K202 was a Morgan Giles boat built in 1908, and she appears to be the lower of the two boats shown in a photograph on this forum. She is the boat that was in the Bealieu Maritime Museum. K170 was an Uffa Fox boat, built in 1929, and she might possibly be the upper of the two boats shown in the photograph, based on the evidence of the photographs on the NSBR. although the construction of the bows seems wrong for a Fox boat.
I'll try and get some specific pictures of these, I may not get the chance to post until the late afternoon.