Classic Boat Insurance

General chat about boats
NorfolkNick

Classic Boat Insurance

Post by NorfolkNick »

I recently tried to insure a classic International 14 and my usual insurer (Noble Marine), quoted me over £200 p/a, based, I think, on the International 14 being a very fast, aggressively raced, slither of carbon fibre. I explained that mine was rather different (wood, bronze centerplate etc) and they then quoted me £180 p/a, which still seems a little high. So I was wondering if anyone had found an insurer who understands the difference between old and new boats and had managed to get a more reasonable quote. The other aspect of the quoted insurance is that it was the same regardless of whether the boat is being sailed, or laid up in a shed being worked upon, as mine will be for another year.

If anyone has any recommendations for insurers / brokers they would be appreciated. Thanks.
International 14 #85.
neil
Site Admin

Re: Classic Boat Insurance

Post by neil »

When I owned Rannoch (1947 Uffa Fox International canoe) a few years ago, I was in a similar situation.

Ended up speaking to someone at WH Insurance (http://www.dinghyinsurance.com). They were very understanding, even told me I was underinsuring the boat when I gave them a value. They understood that care was needed when sailing the boat, so the risk was relatively low as the boat would not be left in a dinghy park, raced hard etc. Think I paid around £60 for the premium based on an insured value of £5,000
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Aquarius

Post by Aquarius »

neil wrote:When I owned Rannoch (1947 Uffa Fox International canoe) a few years ago, I was in a similar situation.

Ended up speaking to someone at WH Insurance (http://www.dinghyinsurance.com). They were very understanding, even told me I was underinsuring the boat when I gave them a value. They understood that care was needed when sailing the boat, so the risk was relatively low as the boat would not be left in a dinghy park, raced hard etc. Think I paid around £60 for the premium based on an insured value of £5,000
Thanks!
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"
JimC

Post by JimC »

Its kinda awkward though. Our boats have low sale value, but enormously expensive to repair, so the smallest of incidents is probably an insurance write off. And then if we do manage to be responsible for an accident to a third party - swimmer or something - then its just as expensive as any other craft.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

As a rule, I just use 3rd party insurance cover from Bishop Skinner.

Any breakages are almost certainly going to be more costly than the value of the boat and I wouldn't want anyone else doing the work on the boats anyway.

The only thing that worries me is breaking a mast, especially a newish carbon one, but even then......if it is going to get fixed, then I would just as rather do it myself, than have someone else do it.

Best wishes

EIB
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

I asked about insurance fully comp which I have had for my 14's but when pushed, Ed is correct, they will onl;y pay up to the value of the boat so if its worth £500 or less it's not worth getting fully comp. I am now only 3rd party because although fully comp is not much more there is no point if they wont pay out!!
Chrisrjwood
Jollyboat J325 Serendipity
Rouse I14 'Brown Trousers' K1094
Kirby 7 I14 Last Chance K1120
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Uffa Fox I14 Nymph K524 (under restoration)
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Might be worth it if it is a rudder or centreboard as these run from around £350 to 500 new (Milanes)
Chrisrjwood
Jollyboat J325 Serendipity
Rouse I14 'Brown Trousers' K1094
Kirby 7 I14 Last Chance K1120
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Uffa Fox I14 Nymph K524 (under restoration)
cweed

Post by cweed »

On this subject, has anyone found an insurer who will cover several boats on one premium, on the presumption that only one boat at a time can be sailed? As my boats are mostly rescued from being dumped, I only want 3rd party, and Newton Crum are fairly reasonable for most classes, but they don't cover Finns , (even doggy ones!)
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

I did some shopping around for finn insurance (1 classic and 1 modern boat) earlier this year after a massive price hike from BS, I ended up with GJW, I think there was a multi boat discount but I'm still paying for both and still not cheap! Cost of replacement kit, especially masts, mean Finns are expensive to insure - if you don't have any carbon masts could be worth a phone call to see if they will take this into account.

Craftinsure were also a possibility and will give a reduction in you're happy with a higher excess.
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

For what it is worth...

I have just renewed my policy with Insurance4Dinghies (Towergate) for my Tideway, insured value £2000

Last Year's premium total £42.12

This year's premium inc increased IPT @ 12% total £18.50

Haven't a clue why, I've double checked but happy to not ask any more...
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

azimuth wrote:... still not cheap! Cost of replacement kit, especially masts, mean Finns are expensive to insure - if you don't have any carbon masts could be worth a phone call to see if they will take this into account.
I just went for 3rd party only... but I wonder how much it would cost to replace the needlespar if it did break??? And indeed, how would I find a replacement?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

jpa_wfsc wrote:
azimuth wrote:... still not cheap! Cost of replacement kit, especially masts, mean Finns are expensive to insure - if you don't have any carbon masts could be worth a phone call to see if they will take this into account.
I just went for 3rd party only... but I wonder how much it would cost to replace the needlespar if it did break??? And indeed, how would I find a replacement?
Would have to hunt for a second hand one, they don't go for much money but they don't come up much either. I have a spare red top I could be pursuaded to part with if it got someone back on the water.
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...