An idea to encourage race participation in clubs.

General chat about boats
jpa_wfsc

An idea to encourage race participation in clubs.

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I'm sure that many of us do most of our racing in our local club general handicap races. And, as our boats are to an old spec, it can be hard to get a decent result on the classes' current handicap.

However - what if we were somehow able to put together a virtual cvrda handicap competition - to attract owners of vintage, classic and old fleet boats to take part in their club events, accrue places through a season, and then some kind of overall result awarded by cvrda at each club?

e.g. you have to compete in (say) 12 races at your club, recording the BCR value you get at each race. Discard the worst (biggest) 4 and submit the remaining 8 to cvrda for summing up and making an award? The boat scoring the lowest difference between BCR and the classes current published PY number would win. BCR is back calculated rating - it is the PY you would have to have had to win that race. In a recent race I came 14th, with the modern Finn handicap of 1045. The BCR was 1206 so if my PY was 1206 I would have won. My points for the cvrda handicap for that race (which I hope I would be able to discard!!!) would be BCR - current class PY which would be = 161.

This would encourage cvrda boat owners to compete in their clubs (good for their club too!) and produce a bunch of useful data to use in determining cvrda handicaps (and alterations for e.g. dacron rather than cotton sail use).

Thoughts invited...
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
trebor

Re: An idea to encourage race participation in clubs.

Post by trebor »

Counting only full hour handicap races ?
Do you mean a cvrda handicap table ?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

A classic Finn usually sails off 1071.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Not sure I get the full hour bit, Rob?

I like that you can see what handicap you'd have needed to win, I think, but possibly slightly depressing!

You certainly need to convince the WSC powers that be that 1071 is more fair, though it sounds like you need some tweaking and time in the boat still!

My next cvrda ride is upside down in the front garden being fettled, so will join you soon!
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

No, neither do I now, thinking, I meant completed hour long races, rather than races finished early, not sure it makes sense now, not even got the excuse of 'drink induced'.
I suppose we could do nationwide classic class racing, submit our results to a collator on here.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

trebor wrote: I suppose we could do nationwide classic class racing, submit our results to a collator on here.
- yes, that was the basic idea. Not only giving a good reason to be racing our classic / vintage / old boats in our clubs, but also giving cvrda handicap committee more data to work with. PS I am up for doing the collating in the first year.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
trebor

Post by trebor »

sounds like a plan, have the results and presentation at the Nationals.
Perhaps include results of boats that beat the classic dinghy, give a comparison against more modern boats ?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia