2018 events

Chat about CVRDA events
PeterV

2018 events

Post by PeterV »

Can all those who may be in a position to host an event next year please let me know with possible dates, as I know many sailing clubs are starting to firm up their calendars for next year about now. I'll try and make sure we have a good spread both geographically and across the year.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
suffolkmerlin

Re: 2018 events

Post by suffolkmerlin »

Hope to have the Aldeburgh date next few days
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I will talk to Mike, see if we can get back on track with the de May series again. I think he might be at Banbury. Also the SigneTs are keen to tie up with some cvrda meetings.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
chris

Post by chris »

We were a bit undersupported this year so Shearwater might be due a year off perhaps. If there is a big gap we would be happy to put an event on though.
Chris
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Spoke to Mike on Saturday, we are keen to go for the 3rd of June. Probably the usual format of de May on Saturday, SigneTs on Sunday, CVRDA both days.

Does anyone know what Aldeburgh is planning?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Aldeburgh is provisionally 16th and 17th June. We must be due a sunny light weather weekend.
We are looking for a good turn out of 14s with several first rate renovations being undertaken in Suffolk.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

That should work well then; we will be happy for people to leave boats at Hunts ready to go on to Aldeburgh.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Peter,

This is just an FYI and is far from confirmed but the weekend of June 2nd and 3rd may well be when the Proctor Centenary event will be taking place at Bosham. At this point in time I haven't anything definitive as to how this will work - what has to be avoided is the 'free for all' that ended up spoiling the attempts made by the NMM Falmouth to host an event for the 90th! It could well be that the main Proctor classes will be invited along so you get the very best of examples of his designs on display but I'll be able to firm up on this in a fortnight or so.

Clearly there are some great 'must haves' - very early Wayfarers, Gulls, Minisails, the wooden Kestrel, Ospreys (which were, like the first kestrels, all clinker construction) but then there are the rare beasts - Marlin, Alpha, Typhoon and so many more. Then there are the development classes, 12s, 14s, Merlins, Canoes and 18s who will all need to be represented.
Not only will this be a 'get a Proctor Boat and an invite' event that will be on the must do list, but I can imagine that quite a few people will want to come along and spectate.

I'll confirm as many details as I can as soon as I can.....but this is now looking to be the date.

Dougal
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I hope the Topper will get pride of place.

So, is this a "one of a kind" event, then? Nice for the photos, but can't see widespread appeal to owners of proctor designs. I'd be happy to come and sail Minisail 1, but actually, it would be more fun to come and race the boats as they were intended to be used.

And don't forget the Spectrum! Or maybe do...
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

although I am involved in an advisory capacity, I'm not actually the organiser of the Bosham event. The RYA have asked me to 'lead' the celebrations at the Dinghy Show, where Proctor will get a good showing. I'd imagine boats in the West corridor, some free standing sets of his plans + pictures and a talk on the main stage.

Once that is done, the question then became one of how to show the boats off in their best light. Now Warsash, close to Ian's home, had a good claim to this but it would be a tricky matter to be sailing old classics in the waters off Hamble point if it got breezy. Those of you with good memories will remember that the NMM Falmouth tried to do something a decade back, only to find that they were going to get 50 boats from one class and no more than a handful of the rest.

We learnt a lot of lessons about this sort of event with Holt 2012, what worked and what didn't and just throwing the whole thing open is not the answer. What you want is as wide spread of the designs as possible, showing just how good his mastery was of the dinghy hull form. Some classes wouldn't even be able to provide 4 boats, how many Wildfire, Marlins, Typhoons and the like are out there. Others, be it 12s, 14s, 18s or Merlins might need more places to show how his design philosophy developed with time. At this point in time, I don't know but hope to have more detail soon and will put up a new thread on here as this is a true milestone in our history. For now, as I understand things, there will be a race, maybe two, with a grandstand finish in front of the club.

I'll admit to have been a tad sad when I saw your comment about the lack of attraction to owners of Proctor Boats, as I am not sure how else this could be celebrated. Already people are investing a lot of time and effort - and yes, money, to make sure that Proctor's legacy is given all due. Looking at the state of the sport today - and the media that surround it, I'm honestly surprised that all this is happening, for there is already a generation who will sail 'Proctor who?' Falmouth tried and failed, Bosham deserve not just full marks for supporting this but the fullest of support for the event itself .

Even if you are not one of the lucky ones to get to sail in the event, wouldn't it make for an amazing day at Bosham to see all these boats ranked up on the Green and then out on the water.

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

If I have to be 'lucky' to be to sail in the Bosham event then I'm guessing I don't need to worry about the clash with the. Hunts open.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
trebor

Post by trebor »

I think CVRDA probably best group to run something like this, people wouldn't be embarrassed about turning up in a minisail or old Ent etc.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
davidh

Post by davidh »

Robert,

a good point BUT.... going back to 2012 and the Holt Centenary, the CVRDA were happy to support an event (which they did, superbly) but less up for the organisational side of things. And it is that organisation that will be the make or break of the event. Proctor 2018 has been an active topic for over a year now, but there isn't a lengthy string of forum threads on here about "what shall we do" for the Proctor Centenary and it is way too late to be starting now.

And yes, that organisation will be crucial, because whilst you'll want not just a Minisail, but a grp one and a woodie - oh, and a Sprint too, you'll not want someone rocking up with "an old Ent" to a Proctor themed event! As I've said, the NMM tried to do this and in the end, pulled the plug, actually pulling an event like this together will take a great deal of work from all sides.

It may well be televised, but that is not the issue here. Those people who are lucky enough to have outstanding examples of Proctors work, from an original WOOD Topper (before they went GRP and only later to plastique) through those wonderful 14s and Merlins, Canoes and 18s, to the more rare beasts, will have the chance to show their boats in the best way possible.

This IS about the individual- about the life and times of one of our greats. At a time when the passing of these influential people scarcely gets a mention in the modern media, I hope that there will be support for this in the same way that there was for Holt 2012.

D
David H
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

David,
Unfortunately I do not own any Proctor designed boats, however, if you need someone to steer something like a Typhoon for example, while you take pictures, then give me a shout!
I would quite like the opportunity to take part in this event, if it comes off, as the first boat I ever sailed was a Proctor design...Bosun in case you were wondering!
Regards
Ian
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ian,

Have you been getting psychic waves or something! Much as I would love to be afloat my guess is that I'll be working - maybe helping the media out so the cameras are looking at the right boats and the people are saying the right things. We can organise space for a camper too!

Currently I have identified 26 dinghy classes. Now some of these are, I expect, long gone - even I have never seen a Jiffy, though I will have to admit to having sailed a Firebird (a small kestrel sort of thing....not one of his better moments at the drawing board). And what of the Marlin, Blue Peter, Alpha, Peregrine and Spectrum - do any still exist.

But I'm laughing aloud here at the thought of saying to the cameras "look at this lovely boat, just ignore the man helming it".....

I know that we've a Zenith on here, Wayfarer 2, I'm aware of a Wildfire - this could be a good day to be on the water
D
David H