Merlin Rocket Adur 3 design - Shoestring - update

an area to discuss dinghy developments
slimtim

Merlin Rocket Adur 3 design - Shoestring - update

Post by slimtim »

Hello

What do we know about this design of MR?

Pat has pointed me in the direction of some generic Adur info but I can't find anything about the Adur 3.

Looks like there were some issues with the 6, that that 7 is a well-regarded inland boat but the 3 has less coverage.

I did read an article by Ian Proctor from about 1959 in which he expresses admiration for the powerful Adur hulls, but doesn't say much more.

My impression of the 3 is that it looks rather similar to a n earlyish Holt with the similar hamster cheeks- style front profile, but has a very fine transom and is generally low to the water and so looks rather different. The decks overhang the hull top plank by about three inches which makes the boat look wider than it actually is.

Any knowledge gratefully received.

Tim
Last edited by slimtim on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris

Re: Merlin Rocket Adur 3 design

Post by chris »

I gather the Adur 3 was not their most favoured design.
slimtim

Re: Merlin Rocket Adur 3 design - Shoestring - update

Post by slimtim »

Just in case anyone is interested, here is some information about the Adur 3.

[Thanks to Mike Liggett for this bit] 10 were built, two owner-finished. The boats are 900, 902, 925, 987, 988, 1065, 1068, 1072, 1098 and last but not least 1136.

I now own 1136 Shoestring.

The only other Adur 3 I had seen was 1065 which is raced by Laurie Smart to great effect at the DeMay events although I understand that he may have tweaked his boat during a rebuild.

My own boat, 1136, was originally owned by Jim Robinson and I was lucky enough to make contact with him through the MROA website and we met up yesterday for a fantastic look through old pictures, newspaper cuttings, trophies, and generally learning about the goings on both on and off the water at Merlin events in the early 60s.

Shoestring is so named as Jim pieced her together from a number of sources, at the lowest cost, having bought the hull which had sat in the Adur Boatyard unsold. Living close to Shoreham, the Adur Boatyard was his local builder.

Jim was told that due to the so-so performance of the early Adur 3s, 1136 had been tweaked significantly to improve speed.

Having fitted out the hull, including making a centreboard and rudder, Jim set off for his first race and was amazed to find he won it. This set a pattern, and sailing with a number of different crews, Shoestring set about winning many events at club level. So much so that Jim bought a spinnaker (first one poor, second one better).

Shoestring really shone at the 1962 nationals and the newspaper cuttings from the time give a great account of a week which saw one day's racing abandoned due to high winds and the others the subject of heavy conditions.

Of the four races sailed, in a fleet of 144 boats, Shoestring placed second, fifth, retired while in fourth with a ripped batten pocket (Jim says this was his biggest mistake in sailing as he could have placed or won the championship if he had continued) and then, named a contender, succumbed to the pressure and had a disappointing last race finishing 26th.

Shoestring finished 12th overall which is good but what the papers pointed out as being remarkable was that she had such a lightweight crew in very stormy conditions - Jim was certainly not more than 'normal' weight, and his crew was a diminutive young lady.

In case you own or know of an Adur 3, Jim's tips for success is to sail her very flat and be prepared to accelerate and pass many boats (of the era) down wind and on a reach.

I'm building up quite a picture of Shoestring's heritage (e.g. she was owned for a period by Admiral Sir 'Sandy' Woodward of Falklands Task Force fame) and I would be pleased to receive any input from the CVRDA brains trust (the MROA forum has provided a couple of strong anecdotes).
davidh

Post by davidh »

Tim,

did Mike Liggett give you sight of the Merlin Rocket book? If you are interested, I still have copies.

as for 1065, I regret that she is no longer an Adur 3. The old hull was discarded and destroyed, all bar some deck beams and a thwart. These were used again so that 1065 is now a Holt Passing Cloud (modified design) and is a new built boat. I am not questioning the rights or wrongs of what was done, merely pointing out that these were the changes made.

D
David H
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yes, I did. Am I still on 10% commission?!!

Mike.
slimtim

Post by slimtim »

David, that explains a lot about Flipside (quite an appropriate name given the split identity) and also the ruffled feathers. She's a great looking boat though.
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

I know where there is another Adur 3 if anyone’s interested. It is really just a hull and the decks have already been removed by the previous owner ready for re-decking. The hull itself seems to be in pretty good shape and has been dry stored for at least ten years. If someone wanted to take it on I might be able to find some bits and pieces to go with it. The boat is number 1098 and is called “Phlash” , but I don’t know it’s history I’m afraid although it may have been in the Bristol area at one time.

Ian
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Not surprisingly most of the Adur3's started life off the Sussex coast at Bognor Regis SC and SMYC. For 1098 this was Bognor.