Proctor Centenary 2018

an area to discuss dinghy developments
davidh

Proctor Centenary 2018

Post by davidh »

There is already a thread running on the topic of the on water activities (the more the merrier!).
But of greater importance is to use this opportunity to collect as much detail on what boats exist and where. Merlins Rockets, N12s, 14s, 18s and Canoes are in one work folder. In another are his designs for small keelboats - I wasn't really aware how much of an influence he had enjoyed in this area. Then of course there is the Tempest - a stand out design that has to set IP above the rest due to it's Olympic credentials. Nor should we forget that Proctor also got in on the act of designing a quite nice cat.....only the one as far as I know, but for a while they were selling and sailing.

Then there is a wonderful portfolio of one designs - from the Osprey through to the Spectrum. Some, like the Wayfarer, go from strength to strength, others, maybe the Kestrel, are hanging on whilst the bulk of his designs are now consigned to history.

When, back in 2012, we did the Holt centenary, it was only afterwards that people came out of the woodwork with details and stories. but by then it was too late for inclusion.

This then is the chance for anyone with knowledge of ANY of the Proctor boats to come up with stories, pictures - or better still, whereabouts of the rarer beasts, to add to this store of knowledge. The more of this detail that I can collect now, the better the story will be next year.

Many thanks

Dougal
David H
trebor

Re: Proctor Centenary 2018

Post by trebor »

David,
I will get photos of Firebird and what history exists, so far I have found out who last privately owned the boat, he left boat to Sea cadets, hard life for a old boat, but it's still providing fun and games, sponge fights and first experience of a 2 hander.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
davidh

Post by davidh »

Thanks Robert, as 'that' supermarket likes to tell us, 'every little helps'.

Other big gaps in the knowledge...

Alpha

Adventuress

Blue Peter

and one boat that I know we've had on here before, the Marlin! (Marlin Mk3 as well)

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

davidh wrote:Thanks Robert, as 'that' supermarket likes to tell us, 'every little helps'.

Alpha

Blue Peter

D
Not seen much of the Blue Peter but I am sure these were designed for / sponsored by the BBC. They must surely have something in Noaksie's drawers??
A bit like a fibreglass Duckling.

Here is one on Appolloduck...
http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk ... ml?cid=680

The Alpha was a bit like a cross between a lark and a firefly.About 12 feet long, double handed training boat. There was a fleet of these at Bossoms Boatyard (who I think were one of the main builders)on Port Meadow in Oxford when I was "Bosun" (ie Dogs body committee member) for OUYC in the late 70's.

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/E0RJF9/oct-10- ... E0RJF9.jpg

Heavy, fibreglass, somewhat under canvased, and designed as a teaching boat. The distinguishing feature of the alpha was a thick black rubber bumper instead of a bow stem. Another trainer feature was its "unsinkability due to foam filled Bow and stern buoyancy, though we all know what happens to that after a year or so of thrashing!
Michael Brigg
Pat

Post by Pat »

My nephews had a Blue Peter in the 90's/noughties - handy little boat and I didn't think they were rare.
It must have done it's job of encouraging juniors since one is now an instructor at Hengistbury.
I'll look for photos.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

Oh dear, that looks rather like an Eileen Ramsay picture to me!

Do you have any shots of the boats up at Bossoms? I remember the Alpha but have to admit that I never sinned so badly that I was sent out afloat in one! (and that is saying something!).

Pat - yes please to a picture if possible; I'm thinking of a 8-9ft pramish sort of dinghy.

Is Gary Rowtledge - of Secret Water and gannet fame - still on here?

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

Blue Peter Brochure on the web http://scousemouse.net/boats/blue-peter/
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat,

Oh dear - painful reading!

D
David H
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Michael Brigg wrote:
davidh wrote:Thanks Robert, as 'that' supermarket likes to tell us, 'every little helps'.

Alpha

Blue Peter

D
The Alpha was a bit like a cross between a lark and a firefly.About 12 feet long, double handed training boat. There was a fleet of these at Bossoms Boatyard (who I think were one of the main builders)on Port Meadow in Oxford when I was "Bosun" (ie Dogs body committee member) for OUYC in the late 70's.

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/E0RJF9/oct-10- ... E0RJF9.jpg

Heavy, fibreglass, somewhat under canvased, and designed as a teaching boat. The distinguishing feature of the alpha was a thick black rubber bumper instead of a bow stem. Another trainer feature was its "unsinkability due to foam filled Bow and stern buoyancy, though we all know what happens to that after a year or so of thrashing!
We had one at Whitefriars when I was a schoolboy ('72 to '76) and it used to be nearly impossible to pull up the slipway after a sail. It was a very lively boat to sail - I certainly would not think it was undercanvased. We took it apart to remove the sponge foam, with the intention to re-assemble with polystyrene instead. But never managed to put back together in working form and I think it went to the tip (sorry!!). There was a couple of years ago, one on the river near oxford with an outboard motor being used as a tender. That looked very heavy in the water too!!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

There was an Adventuress at Hunts for a while, then it got taken to Snettishm. Funny looking little tub. I know the owner of that helps. There is an Adventurer at Fishers Green.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
chris

Post by chris »

I think a new member at Shearwater has an adventuress. Hadn’t heard of it before.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa or Chris - YES PLEASE to any pictures that can be begged, borrowed and if not - filched!

We've also now got to add the Jiffy!

Meanwhile, I've tracked down details of Ian Proctor's foray into multi-hulls and have had to create another branch on his 'design family tree'.

But please to you all - don't wait for me to think up any more of these at times 'odd/one-off' designs - any help will just add more to the story.

Some of you will be at the Dinghy Show and will hear the talk and see the pictures BUT - I'm happy, as I was with the Holt talk, to bring it along to a CVRDA meeting for those who couldn't make it to Ally Pally.

Cheers all
D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Help - again!

This time with the timeline. Can anyone throw light on the following? I need the year of design for....

Adventurer

Adventuress

Alpha

JIffy

Blue Peter

Marlin

Spectrum - which, as far as I know, was Ian's last design

As always any info, if possible backed up with pictures, would be really useful

Cheers all

D
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

davidh wrote:Help - again!

This time with the timeline. Can anyone throw light on the following? I need the year of design for....

Spectrum - which, as far as I know, was Ian's last design

As always any info, if possible backed up with pictures, would be really useful

Cheers all

D

According to the Porter's page on archive.org (https://web.archive.org/web/20070118083 ... ctrumt.htm)

During 2000, members of the family of the late Ian Proctor, the renowned dinghy designer were delighted to find many drawings of a new dinghy design that Ian had been working on. these drawings depicted a family dinghy designed very much with fun and ease of usage in mind. There were six main criteria the design that Ian had called the SPECTRUM:

· Capable of being sailed single handed

· Capable of entertaining sailing for two or three in Bermudian format

· Capable of being rowed for recreational exercise

· Easily managed ashore and afloat

· Cartopable for ease of movement ashore

· And last but not least FUN!

Development.
The hull form is a modified scow design, giving excellent reaching performance, with a surprising amount of stability for a narrow design. A key feature of the sailing capability was a 2 position centreboard location; aft for single handed (mainsail only) and forward for two handed (with both mainsail and jib).

Since the original design was conceived, materials have evolved so that Porter Brother, in conjunction with Ian Proctor Design Ltd. have developed an aluminum mast with a fiberglass topmast for good gust response, together with Mylar sailcloth rigs for light weight and good durability.

Porters have developed a manufacturing technique for the hull moulding with grant-support from the Department of Trade and Industry, utilising a resin injection system which ensures constant hull quality and weight and provides a laminate with the highest integrity.

The SPECTRUM has been extensively developed and tested during 2001, resulting in 3 alternative deck designs being tried, together with changes in the sailing weight, foil design, and rig and chandlery detail. Sailing has been done across the wind scale from (force1 - force7!) with all of this work behind us, we are happy that the SPECTRUM is ready to go on in 2002.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
trebor

Post by trebor »

Would this be the last new Scow design by anyone?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk