Any information on my GA Feltham built Stormalong dinghy

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Pete Smith

Any information on my GA Feltham built Stormalong dinghy

Post by Pete Smith »

Good morning,
Having just joined the cvrda I thought I might add some information that may prove helpful to others.
I have just purchased a 12ft 6” Stormalong wooden clinker built sailing dinghy her name is “Saggita” with “PSC” (Portsmouth Sailing Club) next to the name. Her sail number is 8, and she has a brass plate which has G A Feltham on it (The builder). She is in remarkable original condition and is complete with two sets of original sails a bowsprit and oars. She was originally owned by a Mr. Ireland. I could go on adding things but you’d get bored!
Regardless, I’d be very interested in any useful information relating to this type of boat. Additionally I would welcome any advice on looking after her and preparing her for going sailing as this is the main reason for joining this forum.
Regards
Pete

Report this post
Top Profile Send private message E-mail Edit post Reply with quote
Let
Alan P.

Re: Any information on my GA Feltham built Stormalong dinghy

Post by Alan P. »

Hello Peter

Stormalongs were a big class at Portsmouth S.C. back in the 1950s and Feltham's workshop was just a few doors away. When I was a member there in the 1980s with the OK some of the older members who sailed them were still about, one or two boats were still in the dinghy yard and Feltham's ( Harry? ) was still there.
Perhaps if you contacted Portsmouth S.C. I think someone in their ranks will come up trumps with some history, at least of the class and maybe no8.
As for advise on care and repair of a clinker boat like this, I'll leave it to much more qualified folk on here.

http://www.portsmouthsc.co.uk
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
Pete Smith

Post by Pete Smith »

Hi Peter
Thank you very much for your response and advice. I will contact Portsmouth Sailing Club.
Regards
Pete
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hi Pete,

Just chanced across your post on one of my rare (these days) visits to the forum.

My dad bought Stormalong number 2 back in the early 60s ad it was the first boat that I ever helmed. We had the cruising (gunter) rig with tan sails, and the racing Bermudan mast (but no sails). We were sailing in Chichester Harbour (as I still do) and there were 2 other of the 13 Stormalongs built also in the harbour around that time.....number 7 I think and number 14 (sail number 13 was not issued I believe)

I think there may be more info from a previous discussion (which I probably started) on this forum some time ago, so it may be worth just typing Stormalong into the search box and having a look.

There was one for sale locally here near Chichester a few years ago, painted blue from memory (may have been our old boat #2) but Ii don't know of any others around offhand.

I'm glad at least one has survived anyway, even if she is a long way from home now!
Sami.
Pete Smith

Post by Pete Smith »

Hi Sami,

Thank you for your posting.

I was hoping you may still be contributing to this forum. I have only recently joined and one of the first discussions I read was the one you referred to, it was great to read your about your experiences with a Stormalong.

I had hoped to track down some photographs of similar dingies but yet to find any. My dinghy is in great condition and is complete with two sets of sails. To be honest I know very little about sailing but I am determined to learn.

Having discovered that my boat has a great history I have put on hold any restoration work until I have a complete understanding of what’s required. All the rope on the boat is original and needs to be replaced, I think I’ll start there.

Regardless, I am so pleased you are still interested in sailing.

I will post some photos of my boat on here ASAP.

Regards

Pete
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hi Pete,

I'll keep an eye open for the pics, very interesting. Glad you're giving some thought to the restoration :)
Sami.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pete,

FYI - in today's money, the PY of a Stormalong would be about 1200.

I know this because (drum roll here) - the Stormalong is about to get a mention in a new article that I'm doing for Y&Y.com¬!

What would help a lot is if you (or Sami) could divvie up a picture of a boat sailing!

regards

Dougal

Features/Y&Y.com
David H
Pete Smith

Post by Pete Smith »

Hi David,
Thank you for your posting.
I will eagerly await your report on Stromalong’s. I have made some progress relating to my own Stormalong number 8. Unfortunately I am unable to send you photos of her sailing as she is missing some of her fittings. I have plenty of photos of her near the sea on Skye!
I am actively seeking the missing fittings and as much information regarding the Stormalong dinghy that’s available. Your gather that I am something of a beginner regarding a sailing dinghy! My time has been spent fishing from my 1960’s clinker built boat, I aim to learn very quickly!
Regards
Pete