Baltic Wharf

Chat about CVRDA events
Nessa

Baltic Wharf

Post by Nessa »

This will be another first time for me (following Clywedog and Banbury). Any useful knowledge anyone can pass on regarding dogs, launching, unloading etc? Even though I worked in and around Bristle for many years I never sailed here!

Hoping to bring the Finn. Will I need a winch?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Re: Baltic Wharf

Post by Pat »

No winch needed and jetty for mooring up. Follow SS Great Britain signs then when you are driving along by the river (on your left) pass SS GB then look for the Cottage Inn but turn in off the road at the next gateway about 10 yards on and then you can drive through the car park to the one way bit, drop the boat by the water and come out by the Cottage Inn and then park up (free parking). Lunch is either bring your own or pub lunch in the Cottage. Or we could stay for a meal in the Cottage Inn afterwards if people want to since they do all day food and parking is OK.

From the M5 at Avonmouth you come in under the suspension bridge then along then keep towards the city centre under the flyover then bear left then keep in the right lane and follow SS Great Britain signs to get across the lock onto the riverside road and it's very close to that junction. You can't get off the Weston Road any more - the slip is closed.

Hope the instructions are OK - I came in that way to work this morning and have now checked the turnings!
Last edited by Pat on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chris

Post by chris »

Last event of the year coming up on Satuurday 11th
details see
https://www.balticwharfsailing.com/open-meetings
Briefing 1030 first race at 1100 is head of the harbour race.
Hope to see you all there.
Chris
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Leave a bright light on and the Moths will be there!
It looks as though there may be a few others joining Lyndon and me so fingers crossed for a decent turnout and some favourable conditions...if there is such a thing at Baltic Wharf?

Regards

Ian
chris

Post by chris »

Hope you are bringing the Shelley as I have Amy’s boat here for fettling and may want to have a close look Ian.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Have amended my directions above as the slip road off the Weston-Super-Mare Road is closed off.
Planning to get the old Albacore ready this weekend. Squirrel can stay snug until we get time for more practice at sailing her.

Anyone planning to get together for a meal afterwards or just to lunch at the Cottage?
chris

Post by chris »

We would be up for a nice CVRDA winter celebration meal.
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Chris, there may be some more inspiration as well as Ian's boat on hand at Bristol. I think we can also make you an honorary member of the lowriders FB page which has been very busy recently.

I will stay for a meal at the cottage if time permits.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I look d up The Cottage to see if they allowed dogs, which they do, but also found they have changed hands to become part of a chain. Reviews weren't great and didn't tie in with the excellent reports heard previously. We could stay for a meal if it wasn't too long after racing.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Post by Pat »

Just looked up the Cottage - it's still Butcombe owned but new tenants and new menu. Sounds like it's slower service and pricier food so taking some sandwiches for lunch could be a good idea since the club doesn't do food.
For a meal after, there's choice with the Nova Scotia close by http://www.novascotiabristol.co.uk/index which is also dog friendly.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Well done to Baltic Wharf and all the competitors for a great way to bring the curtain down on the 2017 season. Sadly, the absence of a couple of key boats robbed me off my expected story. It wasn't until this morning that I realised that I had one anyway!

A decade ago, an event like BW would have been the plaything for the classic Merlin Rockets. How that star has faded! It's not that the two man boat wasn't there - because they were, if only to keep the flighty Moths honest. So what has happened, why, in a heartland of Merlin sailing, was there not one single boat to be seen?

Now that IS a story - not sure how to tell it yet but I'll get there.

D
David H
chris

Post by chris »

Many thanks to BWSC for the final fling of the year. The docks always make interesting sailing.
the two boats from Shearwater being particularly grateful as sailing at our club has been prohibited for the last six weeks due to toxic levels of blue green algae.
The weather forecast had shown high winds expected but in fact it was hard to keep moving at times. I regretted putting a firefly jib on my 14 but there we go!
Incidentally, Dougal, the only mention of a Merlin to me was on the water: one of the club member sailing something else asked if l wanted to buy Rozzer of him. That one ,MR999,, was one of the core boats there some years ago. Somewhere there is an iconic photo of it sailing under the Clifton suspension bridge.
Pat

Post by Pat »

With Chris, Ian and ourselves at the event, the Merlin was there in spirit, if not in body. Given the original weather forecast, we made the decision to leave Squirrel safely tucked up in the dry and sail the plastic Albacore that can take a pounding from the weather. But I'm looking forward to some warmer pleasant weather, kinder winds and a chance to try the cotton spinnaker!

And here's the picture of Rozzer
Rozzer Merlin Rocket no 999
Rozzer Merlin Rocket no 999
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I'm sorry we couldn't come; I have had a cold for a week now and am just fed up of it.

Never mind: Clywedog and Banbury were 'firsts' for us this year, I'm sure Baltic Wharf can wait until next year.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I remember Rozzer well at Ranelagh originally owned by Clive Curtiss, quite a character and then by Jeff Worsdale. I also believe in more recent years by Ed.

Mike Liggett.