2-Part Polyurethane Paints

share hints, tips and experiences
wilfbishop1

2-Part Polyurethane Paints

Post by wilfbishop1 »

I have always previously used International Paints 2-part polyurethane (2PP) paints on m y wooden dinghy restorations such as my Fairey Finn but I have located similar formulation 2PP paints from JOTUN which are considerably cheaper - for example: International Perfection 2PP is around £52 for 0.75 litre - yet JOTUN 2PP Hardtop AX is about £46 for 5 litres! Now JOTUN is an international established industrial paint supplier for the commercial marine industry at large so I'm inclined to give JOTUN a try. These paints can be purchased from SML Paints and Coatings at http://www.smlpaintsandcoatings.co.uk

However before doing so I'd like to know if any CVRDA members have tried these JOTUN 2PP products? I'd appreciate any feedback that may be available?

Many thanks,

Wilf Bishop

Cornish Cormorant No 1 wooden prototype in restoration
Cornish Cormorant No 78 GRP
Fairey Duckling sailing version in restoration
STEVEB

Re: 2-Part Polyurethane Paints

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
Looks like it is just me then!

I bought a pack of JOTUN Hardtop XP from https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/baysidemarin ... 2749.l2754 .

The colour was nice and bright though the colour density was a bit translucent, not a problem if you have 5 litres!

It did not flow as well when painting as some International and Hempel epoxy paint that I have used, and it seemed softer when dry. In fairness to Jotun I did not use their own brand thinners so that might be my fault.

If you fancy owning a bright red boat I have a couple of litres left at a bargain price.

Steve :)
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

I am using Jotun Hardtop varnish on the Merlin restoration and am more than satisfied with it. I have not tried the paint but cant think its much different
Sam
jules22

Post by jules22 »

I have used both Jotun and SML in the past, both do what they say on the tin! :wink:
wilfbishop1

Post by wilfbishop1 »

Hi Steve,

I'm interested in your surplus Jotun Red 2-Pot poly - can you let me know what Jotun reference red it is so I can look it up on the Jotun colour chart? Also where abouts are you located please? I'm living up in the Yorkshire Dales but I'll be travelling South to stay with family in Oxford & Bath over Christmas so if you are anywhere near my route South I can detour to pick the paint up?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Wilf Bishop
Cornish Cormorant No 1 (in restoration)
Cornish Cormorant No 78
Fairey Duckling (in restoration)
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

Over the years i have used a fair bit of two pack polyurethane paint. I have sprayed it, brushed it, rolled & tipped it. International 709 i never liked, it tended to orange peel unless thnned heavily.
Hempels is good & the last boat i built a 28ft rowing gig was done with this, she looked superb & it has stood up well. My own yacht an elderly Sabre 27 has been painted with Epifanes 2 pack poly & it was the best of the lot to apply. My father in law used Jotun 2 pack on a launch & it was like porridge.
Personally i would not use 2 pack on a wooden boat unless it was sheathed in epoxy & glass. It is too hard & will crack at any join. Refinishing becomes a nightmare too.
What nobody has mentioned is the safety aspect, Two pack polyurethanes & Acrylics use Isocyanate hardeners. It is very nasty stuff indeed. You need serious respiratory protection using it.
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
It was described as RAL 3001 Signal Red, we are in Ashford Middx, near Heathrow.
Steve
:D
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Jotun rocks.

Although I have not used their two-pack top coat, I have used tons of the epoxy primers. White, Silver and clear and their varnishes: Ravilak and Spontan. All worked really well for me.

BW

EIB
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Roger J Holman

Post by Roger J Holman »

Late, but relevant.

I used to use Blakes, when I was working. Then, when I came to repaint 'Mystery', my Jollyboat, my paint supplier recommended Epiphanes. He claimed it was as good as Awlgrip, and a fraction of the price.

I tried it, sprayed, and it was wonderfully easy to use, and gave a good finish. That was about 8 years ago and 'Mystery' has still not been repainted.

More recently I rebuilt an FD, 'Kaewa' , and used Epiphanes to respray her. She left my care today to pastures new, looking just about as good as she did when sprayed, I think, four years ago and having been stored outside without a cover for most of this time.

For pigmentation, and ease of application, I would use nothing else, and I used to do this for a living.