Xmas greetings and next projects

General chat about boats
chris

Xmas greetings and next projects

Post by chris »

Well, here we are again!
Time to wish everyone a happy Christmas.

I’ve lined up another project for the new year in the shape of another ribbed International 14. Plenty to do so it may not hit the water till 2019.

Who has what lined up for shed-time in the new year? Tell us your projects.

May all your Christmas wishes come true and your new year be filled will coming to all the CVRDA events.
Rupert

Re: Xmas greetings and next projects

Post by Rupert »

I think Saskia will be brought home in the spring for some work, once the Lightning transom has been made whole again. Pretty sure the Minisail will need tweaking, too.
Rupert
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Seasons greetings to all.
Presently in the shed are Merlin 1028 a Proctor X11 which is now going back together and is about to have the outside varnish removed. I am very hopeful that it will be a varnisher when cleaned up. I hope to be ready for the start of the season
Also in there is another Albacore 6935 with most of the bottom removed. This will have the effect of letting all the water that has soaked into the core to drain out then I can put it back together again. Hope to be ready for about September.
The blue Albacore is in there as well waiting for varnish if I ever get round to it
Project for next year.....? Trying to straighten my back out after all this bending
A happy and peaceful new year to all and hope to see a few of you on the circuit next year
Sam
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

SWMBO is lining up several jobs of the "indoor" variety including tidying out the garages. Trouble is that is that "Clearing out the rubbish" has a different meaning to us both.

Not withstanding that...

Reattatch the sackboards on the 18ft salters skiff to be ready in the summer for Henley.

IC K102 Torment Clean up, New top coat varnish, and repair after a hard season and be ready for Nationals and Europeans in the Summer. Might need to look at the mast foot. :( I also need to set up a mast to use with the original long boom and cowhorns (for show and classic events.)

IC K203 Moonshadow Needs to be tidied up and repaired to use as the "work horse" in the Summer. Takes some of the stress off Torment. Lots of fittings to refurbish and re-attach in a manner that is less likely to give way. (Re-epoxy all the screw threads etc and revarnish the seat and carriage.) Possibly sand down the upper deck and re-surface.

Dig the neglected Mirror (Pikachu) out of the bottom of the garden and check if mendable / sailable for future grandchildren. If so, repair and place in deep storage with proper weatherproof covering.

Jet wash the L***r, ("White Trailer Trash") and fit wooden classic toerails, and rub down / re varnish wooden classic daggerboard and rudder foil ready for early season training / hardening up.

F3184 Flycatcher needs a repair to a hole, and a big job done to stop a hog leak even bigger than Flagship R08 QE2's stern gland.. :oops: :cry:

Get N14 Blue Moon in the garage and get scraping. :|

Scrape of and revarnish Sims Single scull. Strip and varnish the Sculls.
Repair varnish on Carl Douglas Scull. Renew varnish on Sculls.
Fill and re paint Len Neville Aluminium Scull + Strip and finish Dreisakkr carbon sculls.

It's an ambitious list and will keep me busy in my year 1 of retirement :D :D :D
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Think I've responded in previous years saying Zenith will be on the water next year. Not doing that anymore so I've set a target of 2019 for completion. Am planning to get the steamer fired up next week for the remaining 70+ ribs.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

I'm doing a few small jobs on the finn, aiming to make the tanks water tight, and a bit of a revarnish.

I need some off cuts of marine ply to make plugs for holes left by redundant fittings... Any suggestions where to get some?
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Julia Dream into Miles' shed today to dry out for a couple of weeks, then turn over, rub back and revarnish the top coats. Then turn back and do the decks.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I do intend to do a bit of work on my 1971 Slurp IC, including some modifications to the seat and stiffening up the mast.

Also want to make up some new covers for the Firefly and other boats....

but overall my general feeling is:

then have a re-think

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

I have stocked up on everything I might need over the Christmas period to be a really quiet neighbour.

One Tideway in the garage having the side thwarts (terminology?) repaired following their collapse during return from Dell Quay pub.

Another Tideway hanging up in the garage awaiting serious work or bonfire or dare I say it here, grp sheathing (yes it is that bad). If I can make it float I'll sell it.

Someone else's Firefly due for some work on delamination here and there and deck, fortunately I have plenty of ply, agba, staples, epoxy etc etc left over from the last two.

I could still be tempted by something small and vaguely interesting, 11+, very early Gull, Duckling, Twinkle 12 etc.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
chris

Post by chris »

I forgot to add that int 14 no. 483 needs some work on the varnish, Iska(MR6)is half way through having the side-deck structure repaired. One side done last year so the ply on the starboard side needs lifting, structure repaired, and the original ply returned. Planning to sail her in 2019 for the CVRDA 20th anniversary year etc.. Also time to move Gently on to a new caretaker. At least I have finished my bit of the work on Amy’s moth ready for her to take back after Christmas. An old rowing boat which is in the garden needs saving too!
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

My project, move house in February then wonder what to do with my retirement!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

The B Rater needs some hours cleaning up the inside before starting on the decking and rig.
If I get bored then I can always find something to do on the 14, K871.
The mast on N760 could do with more varnish but it will wait until when I start varnishing the Rater.
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

PeterV wrote:My project, move house in February then wonder what to do with my retirement!

You will soon find that you won't have time to wonder what to do...
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
jules22

Post by jules22 »

The early wooden mirror is back home now and going into dry store over xmas, as I have a teenage daughter on the topper squad trail and don,t see it getting used in the forseeable. :(
trebor

Post by trebor »

Have a go yourself, I am having a laugh sailing my recently acquired Mirror, back to basics.
Next year I intend to sell my Tinker Traveller, Mirror will do similar job, hope to find my first restoration of a wooden boat.

Merry Christmas one and all.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk