Gp14 8171

share hints, tips and experiences
Zeph74

Gp14 8171

Post by Zeph74 »

Hi everyone, my new old boat arrived today an old GP14 with sail number 8171(carved into the hull and on a paddle) which I reckon makes it around 1970 ?.
It came with Mountfield sails numbered 8171.
I have no idea if these are any good but they seem to be in fair condition.

The boat itself on first looks doesnt look to bad. The hull feels solid with just some paint peeling on the transom.

The deck has lifted a little near the gunwale but doesn't look like it has rotted.
Didn't get to have a proper look as the first problem was getting the boat into the garden, I have no driveway so i figured with the help of my sons it wouldn't be a problem.

But one son went awol and the boat is considerably heavier than I envisaged.
From online resesrch I reckoned 134kg which shouldn't be a problem, but didn't reckon on me getting on a bit.

So anyway ended up taking down the fence and lifting it over the wall (around 2 foot) with the help of a neighbour.

Long weekend off next week so will take a few pictures and get a proper look.

Expect lots of questions on the best way to repair bits and pieces.

Excellent site by the way I've already been looking at worst case scenarios and reading the posts on repairing the mast step and centre board case. Hopefully wont be the case as it seems fairly solid but if it is its something to do.
Alan P.

Re: Gp14 8171

Post by Alan P. »

Good time of year to get stuck into a project like this. You'll be back afloat at the very first sign of spring. Easy !?!?

The business with the frence reminded me of a conversation my Dad had with a member at our first club when we had just joined. This chap was explaining how he built his Scorpion from scratch in his terrace house over a winter. He did it at one end of the 30' lounge/ diner whilst family life went on at the other end. The mast was stored up the stairs. When it was all done, the front metal casement window was removed and the boat carefully passed through. Dad was very impressed and as we had a similar sized lounge I could almost hear Dad's brain ticking. Dad had already spotted the only obvious potential problem and enquired as to what the chap's wife thought of it all. She, it appears, at not been in residence for many a year. Just him and two teenage kids who thought that it was all brilliant, his daughter racing it him every week without fail.

Anyway, I ramble. Best of luck with it and lets hope no unpleasant surprises are discovered.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
Zeph74

Post by Zeph74 »

Took the cover off today and found a couple of inches of water around the centreboard case.
Had a look under the deck where the ply is lifting and can see that there is a split in the beam directly underneath.

I've taken a few pictures and put them in an album on flickr.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5Ay3h5
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

So how goes it?
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005