Swordfish sailors

an area to discuss dinghy developments
swordfish

Swordfish sailors

Post by swordfish »

Is there anybody out there still sailing/racing a Swordfish?
JimC

Re: Swordfish sailors

Post by JimC »

Hornsea SC was the last place that sent PY returns for a Swordfish.
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

I believe that there are still a handful of “swordies” still sailing, but I’m not sure if any are being raced any more. I used to sail them with my Dad out in Malta and remember them being nice to sail especially in a decent bit of breeze. The only UK fleets I know of were at Hornsea, West Riding and Trent Valley, but that was a long time ago. I think that West Riding was probably the last bastion of the class, but maybe someone else knows more about the recent history. I still have some photos of the ones in Malta and number 200 was always considered a fast boat.

Ian
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

There was one (ex RAF I think) thrashing around Chichester YC a couple of years ago, not checked to see if it is still there. Still sported a Reynolds mast
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Pat

Post by Pat »

There is one that did the Lord Birkett race last year. I believe they are Yorkshire based.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat, Ian and Swordfishman - I wanted some details a couple of years back on the Swordfish - I can't remember why, probably I was doing something on Fairey's (a regular topic of mine) but I drew a blank - I couldn't find anything that was organized for them. There may well be one or two individual boats still sailing - somewhere in Yorkshire, but nothing beyond that. It was telling that for a year or so around that time that boats would appear on ebay - yet another measure that things were not going well for the remaining boats in the class.

In the end, the judgement of history may well put the boat into the 'nice...BUT' category - certainly Charles Currey, who sailed one as part of his work at Fairey's, didn't like it, thinking that it suffered the same shortcomings of the Firefly. Uffa Fox liked that narrow aft run and pulled in transom, but his design philosophy would soon be overtaken by the designers who preferred a flatter run aft and more beam at the back. When Charles and Greg Gregory conspired together to create the Albacore, (not to mention the development of the Kestrel, GP14, Enterprise, Scorpion and others) the die was cast and the Swordfish days were numbered.

Would love to see one sailing at an event though - I'd have thought that a good, well sorted boat would be a useful performer on PY in the classic scene.

D
David H
JRK

Post by JRK »

Two still sailed regularly at Hornsea, 211 and 50, a couple more in the boat park, a couple more in garages/barns locally.
http://www.hornseasailingclub.org.uk/swordfish.html
Pat

Post by Pat »

Swordfish 202 from West Riding SC was the one that took part in the Lord Birkett. It seemed well sorted.
And that Swordfish appears on that club's website banner pictures Image
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

Swordfish 202, that's me, I forgot to register for the 1st race at the Birkett so my overall result could have been better. I managed 18th overall a few years back, still have the boat but sailing a Solo at the moment.
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

Forgot to mention, that's me and my son sailing 202 on the WRSC website.
Pat

Post by Pat »

swordfish - good to see you on the website. We'd love you to come and join the cvrda racing - Hykeham (Lincoln) this year maybe in August??