Old fireball no 66 found

an area to discuss dinghy developments
keithr

Old fireball no 66 found

Post by keithr »

Hi all

I believe I have found an old fireball.

The number on thwart is 66 (which according to register is a chippendale).

Available will be a bare hull in need of some restoration plus spars and foils if we can find them.

No trailers or fittings on boat.

More news soon.

If anyone interested pleas pm me as I dare not put another one in the barn!!!

Keith R
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Re: Old fireball no 66 found

Post by whacko! »

Hi Keith,

Glad to hear FB66 has survived. She was indeed built by Chippendale but, I seem to recollect, decked out by an amateur. She kept her original name of 'Clickiticlick' down the years and competed in one of the early Nationals doing rather well.

I owned her for a few years with a view to restoration and sailing her in classic events but gave her away when I moved house in 2013. The people who took her on were very keen to continue the restoration work I had started but a year later she appeared on e-bay in, as far as I could tell, the same condition she had been in when I handed her over - which I found rather disappointing. The e-bay buyer apparently didn't realise he had bought a sailing dinghy and immediately tried to offload her.

The thing about Clickiticlick is she is (was?) in remarkably original condition. She'd had a trapeze fitted in 1960s but the layout and fittings were those originally used in 1963. I gave the box of fittings to the new owner and he passed them on to the e-bay buyer so they should be around. It was only a small box as there really weren't many fittings! I also passed over the certificate and a cover specially made to accommodate the transom horse. The original boom went with her and I think I passed over the original mast too but that had been bent by the chap I bought her from.

Chris Turner
FBs 6 & 15149
keithr

Re: Old fireball no 66 found

Post by keithr »

Thanks Chris

Your info ties in with what the current custodian? says.

I will endeavour to contact him and hope 66 has not been destroyed.

If not I will at least collect hull and all the bits he says are somewhere in his shed!!!

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird