Mirror impact repair

share hints, tips and experiences
trebor

Mirror impact repair

Post by trebor »

Following an incident with a Laser saturday, I have a dint on the side of my Mirror about 2 inches in from corner near thwart.
The outer layer of ply is crushed, approx' size of Laser snout, most of impact is above top of tank, fibreglass tape on corner is detached, this did not deflect with wood, inside skin of ply appears to have stretched and bounced back without cracking, only visible evidence is where top of tank meets side of hull, their is a crack in corner running fore and aft.
What filler should I use on outside of ply ?
I will have to replace fibreglass tape on corner, is it same stuff you use on GRP boats ?
How do you prepare wood surface to take tape ?
My first wooden boat repair.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
jpa_wfsc

Re: Mirror impact repair

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Tape - is standard woven glass tape.

To get it to stick to marine ply - prepare ply (dry, dust free..). Paint a thin layer of mixed epoxy onto the wood (extend beyond the width of the tape) and then apply the tape (which you will have cut to size in advance). Then stipple plenty of mixed epoxy resin into the tape (tap it in with the end of a glue brush). All the above must be done within the pot life of the resin.

Filling 'crushed' marine ply - if you are painting over it and its not stressed then epoxy resin mixed with fillers is my preferred choice - it sticks well and is reasonably easy to sand flat once it has set hard. You can also use epoxy resin to glue the layers of ply back together if you can clamp it well enough.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
trebor

Post by trebor »

Brilliant, will get started this weekend.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
JimC

Post by JimC »

If you can improvise some sort of clamp then a piece of ply covered in parcel tape each side over the wet repair would bring everything together and reduce the amount of sanding required.
trebor

Post by trebor »

Where damage is, you can clamp, will try this.
Dent had almost disappeared by saturday morning, was difficult to imagine how bad it was, with a steel rule placed across it had recovered to less than a 1/6th" was very surprised, considering original damage was approx' 1/2" in centre.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia