Swallows and Amazons.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Michael Brigg

Swallows and Amazons.

Post by Michael Brigg »

Anyone else watching it? (BBC2 at 17.00)

I presume that is the Renovated "Swallow" that they are using.

If so what a good job Merlinmags did getting her from out of the Rochester Auction!
Michael Brigg
cocoandfly

Re: Swallows and Amazons.

Post by cocoandfly »

Love both films, though still prefer the original with the lovely Virginia Mckenna
Last edited by cocoandfly on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

[quote=I’m a new member here), and was fascinated to see your dad designed my wonderful original boat. Everyone that sees it loves it’s style, quality, and innovative things like the swivelling mast, the rolled side decks and the centre board drop in design that doesn’t use a leaky pivot bolt is just brilliant.[/quote]

Not my Dad I'm sorry to say.. Have you mis-spelt the name?
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

[quote=I’m a new member here), and was fascinated to see your dad designed my wonderful original boat. Everyone that sees it loves it’s style, quality, and innovative things like the swivelling mast, the rolled side decks and the centre board drop in design that doesn’t use a leaky pivot bolt is just brilliant.[/quote]

Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I’m a new member here), and was fascinated to see your dad designed my wonderful original boat. Everyone that sees it loves it’s style, quality, and innovative things like the swivelling mast, the rolled side decks and the centre board drop in design that doesn’t use a leaky pivot bolt is just brilliant.
Michael Brigg
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

For the record, Eleven Plus designer Eric Parkin, plans drawn by RPK (?), kits supplied by Kit Boats of Harlow.

I don't know if any boats were suppled already built nor do I know if any GRP versions were made as suggested elsewhere by someone a while back.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
cocoandfly

Post by cocoandfly »

I really suspect there were no grp ones. But who knows. I’ve got my very early current unnumbered one, I’ve owned beautiful 429 which I bought from the original constructors son, and the highest number I’ve seen photographically is 556.
I see none entered into Septembers Barts Bash charity race. So wonder just many were made and how few are left.
JimC

Post by JimC »

cocoandfly wrote:I really suspect there were no grp ones. But who knows.
There was indeed at least one fibreglass Plus. I never saw a second one. Sail number was 60something.
cocoandfly

Post by cocoandfly »

Interesting Jim. Any actual evidence to support this? I have no recollection of seeing any such dinghy at Earls Court shows. Nor featuring in SmallBoat magazine. Why or how anybody would randomly make one or two offs I’m not sure? Even Gulls in grp were initially pretty rare and not really a great success. Suspect one or two could have been sheathed in grp rather than manufactured in the stuff!
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Err, excuse me but we seem to have wandered some distance away from Swallows and Amazons. (which inccidently was repeated again last week on TV.)

If we get the apple a little closer to the tree, I might prefer a digression onto this films genre cousin "The Railway Children," if only for the opportunity to mention Jenny Agutter, but then that Boy from the Grammar School, sadly, brings us back to the Eleven + :evil:
Michael Brigg
ent228

Post by ent228 »

About 4 yrs ago there was a glass hulled wood deck plus in very poor condition in the carpark at the top of the tidal rd in Aveton Gifford, Devon. I was very suprised to find a composite one. I suspect it has been broken up as it was with several other dead boats.
cocoandfly

Post by cocoandfly »

Perhaps still a sheaved job!
JimC

Post by JimC »

Last edited by JimC on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimC

Post by JimC »

cocoandfly wrote:Interesting Jim. Any actual evidence to support this?
Depends what you call evidence. I raced against a GRP Plus, probably sailed in it too, but that was 40 years ago. And yes, the other post is correct now I think of it, no stern deck.