Gull Mk2 foredeck canvas

share hints, tips and experiences
mapron

Gull Mk2 foredeck canvas

Post by mapron »

I have been restoring a GRP Gull Mk2 from around 1960 (hard chines) and things are going well. Took her out for a sail in Chichester harbour about a month ago and really enjoyed it. One minor problem was the spray that came in over the bows and I was told that the early Gulls had a canvas foredeck. Does anyone have information on this as I would like to give it a go. If anyone has an old tatty one that I could use as a pattern that would be even better.
JimC

Re: Gull Mk2 foredeck canvas

Post by JimC »

I was quite a lot involved with Gulls in the mid 70s, and was familiar with the Mk2, but I have absolutely no recollection of ever seeing a canvas foredeck. TBH I'd be inclined to make a slot over one out of plywood and have it held down with bungees. You ought to be able to get something usable out of a sheet of 3mm exterior grade ply and some stripwood - fencing cedar is cheapish, light and easy to work. You wouldn't be able to jump on it - but then you couldn't with a canvas one.
mapron

Post by mapron »

Thanks Jim. I'll give it some thought. Did you ever sail a Gull with the mast in the forward position? I am mostly single handed and wonder if it is worth a try. Was there much difference between Bermuda rig and gunter rig?
JimC

Post by JimC »

mapron wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:23 pm Thanks Jim. I'll give it some thought. Did you ever sail a Gull with the mast in the forward position? I am mostly single handed and wonder if it is worth a try. Was there much difference between Bermuda rig and gunter rig?
I have sailed with the mast forward, but don't recall much about it. It was usable: that it hasn't stuck in my memory is a good sign I imagine.The forward position was originally intended for a larger mainsail, but one can always fiddle with the mast rake. I'd be inclined to sail with a jib if possible because its nice to be able to back the jib in order to go hove to or retrieve careless tacks. Obviously you do need cleats set up for it.

Bermudan/gunter. We always tied a loop in the halyard so it could be swung up as tight as possible with a 2:1 advantage, so the difference between gunter and bermudan was not huge.