International 14 #85 Zanzara (previously Ben Hur)

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
NorfolkNick

International 14 #85 Zanzara (previously Ben Hur)

Post by NorfolkNick »

Built by Ernest Woods in 1928, I bought it at the auction back in 2016. The two holes in the hull acquired while at the museum were professionally repaired and a few ribs replaced, and the central section of the hog which was badly split and in poor condition was also replaced at the same time. I have completely stripped off the old varnish on the outside, and revarnished, and have spent many hours scraping the insides and removing all the old varnish there.

But recently, progress has stalled due to a change in my working circumstances, and I regretfully admit I am going to struggle to finish. I am conscious of the historic value of the boat and would prefer to pass the project on to someone who can complete the work rather than pretending that I can finish the job myself and failing.

So is there anyone out there looking for a project that can take over from me, the hard work is mostly done, the insides need a final “finish” before starting to varnish.

The mast is good, the bamboo yard and boom can probably be refurbished, or could be replaced if preferred, and a new sail will be needed as the old cotton one is well past its sell by date. Although rigged as a lugsail (as it was originally). The boat has in the past been Bermudan rigged, and I have an old cotton mainsail of that style.

I am not expecting to get the money I have spent back. I bought a nice combination trolly/road base for the boat, so would quite like to get something for that, plus a token offering for the boat, but more importantly I want the boat to go somewhere where it will be finished and got back on the water.

If anyone wants any photos let me know via PM and I will email them to you.
International 14 #85.
Trish

Re: International 14 #85 Zanzara (previously Ben Hur)

Post by Trish »

Hi Nick
Have posted on the CVRDA and the Vintage 14 facebook pages
Trish
(I14 Daring K201)